Salar de Uyuni - Day 4


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This was the perfect day and the reason for our whole tour. Our very lazy guide had told us we were getting up at 7:30 for an 8:00 start. Not a chance! We’d been promised a sunrise and we were going to get one! We insisted we got up at 4 am, would have breakfast later and be ready to leave at 4:30 as it would take two hours to get to the centre of the great Salar. We arrived in the middle of the Salar a little after 6:30 ready for the sun to appear. It was so worth the early start. In the haze or the upcoming sun, the sky was purple and the salt beneath us mirroring it. When the sun arrived it was the most amazing sunrise either of us had ever seen. The salt reflected the sunlight with perfection.

We then went to the famous Isla de Pescadores, where we ate breakfast in the sunshine. We climbed over the whole island that was covered in cacti. At the top you got a brilliant view of the whole Salar. We were so surprised at how white it was. It easily could have been snow. We almost expected it to be cold. The lake was so vast you could never see the whole thing. You did get a good idea of its sheer size when one person started walking out and he looked so tiny.

Our group went out onto the lake and we spent a long time taking silly photos using different perspectives. When we finally tired of photos we drove to the famous hotel made entirely out of salt! (the one we thought we were staying in) It actually wasn’t that much more impressive than the hostel we had stayed in so it didn’t matter after all.

On our way back to Uyuni we drove through water over the lake. This look really spectacular as everything reflected beautifully. In the wet season the whole lake is covered with water. We were really lucky to be able to see both. We had such a good time and really recommend the Salar - it’s so beautiful!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Piggybacks on the SalarPiggybacks on the Salar
Piggybacks on the Salar

It was quite funny, soon after we arrived a group of Izraelis turned up and watched the sun rise with us. Shortly after they got a ghetto blaster out and started dancing to trance music! Crazy!


1st April 2007

dance
loved the dancing bex. whole area looked amazing. glad you're having such a brilliant time. susan
1st April 2007

Thease photos are amazing. That salt lake must be huge!
1st April 2007

washing??
Hey guys, looks like your having a wkd time loving the pics!! Just a quick question.... have you managed to wash any of your clothes yet?and how many times have you worn dirty underwear??? love ya xxxx

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb