Salar de Uyuni - Day 3


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was another very full day. We had a long journey to the first sight but it was definitely worth it. This was the Stone Tree. Nothing much needs to be said, as you can see from the picture; the amazing giant stone is exactly the shape of a tree!

The next stop was the mountain of seven colours. This multicolored mountain was extremely beautiful but did not affect us as much as the Stone Tree. Many of the mountains around were equally beautiful.

We saw many stunning lagoons today, each full of flamingos, which we never tired of seeing. The lagoons were surrounded in salty clay that was really stinky and stuck to your boots. It was a lot of fun to walk over though. We also drove over a mini salt lake, which the trail way lines that led to Chile ran over. At this point we could see mountains belonging to Chile.

In the afternoon we went to a village that held a museum and tombs of Mummies. There was a lot of confusion over these mummies (that were actually just skeletons) as our guide did not seem to know much about them. He tried to explain to us that they were 20000 years old and that they had died because the sun did not exist then!...very confusing! When we eventually got inside the museum it explained the lifestyle of the Incas but didn’t really mention much about the Mummies. We all went away from that site not really sure about anything!

Although we did not stay in the Salt Hotel, as promised, it did not matter. Our beds and the floor were made entirely out of salt and we all found this very exciting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bex at a small Salar, cracked by the sunBex at a small Salar, cracked by the sun
Bex at a small Salar, cracked by the sun

This place absoloutly stank due to high percentage of sulphur.
An active Volcano in the backgroundAn active Volcano in the background
An active Volcano in the background

Look to the small peak on the left. This was actually smoking while we were there. Unforunatly we couldn't climb the Volcano to get a closer look as it is past the Chilean border.
According to our guide these tombs were 20,000 years old!According to our guide these tombs were 20,000 years old!
According to our guide these tombs were 20,000 years old!

However the museum nearby suggested they were 500 years old! According to local legend, these people existed before the sun was born and therefore lived in darkness. When the sun was born they met extinction and died in these tombs! So the story goes!!


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 91; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb