Day 26: Potosi - Zinc Mines


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we thought we were doing a tour of one of the silver mines in Potosi, but it turned out they no longer mine silver and it was a zinc mine. On the way there, we stopped and bought dynamite for the miners who we would see on the tour. Our guide kitted us up with really hot yellow pants and jackets, hard hats and gumboots, then we headed into the mine. The tour was about 2 hours, and we spent it crawling under pipes, up and down ladders, through holes, and hunched over trying not to whack our heads on the walls! We didn’t actually see any miners doing anything resembling mining unfortunately, most of them were sitting chewing on cocoa leaves! They were more than happy to take our dynamite though, and weren’t very grateful! We stopped at a ceremonial area where the miners drink every Friday. There was a scary devil looking statue who apparently protects the miners, which the guide kept saying had a really big penis! We couldn’t really see it though!

After our tour, we had some lunch and then headed for Uyuni. The drive from Potosi to Uyuni didn’t take as long as we thought, but the roads were really dreadful. The hotel we stayed at had a really strict curfew of 11pm, which we thought was a bit unreasonable. Some of us had pizza at the hotel, which is renowned for being amazing, and the rest of us went to a Mexican cafe. After dinner we played some poker and had a few drinks before bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

P1010835P1010835
P1010835

heading to the zinc mines
P1010846P1010846
P1010846

the monstor guy with "the big penis" which got repeated over and over again that they celebrate with on fridays with 96% alcohol!
P1010851P1010851
P1010851

miners hard at work. not!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb