The Worlds Most Dangerous Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Yungas Road
February 29th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6, walking through the rain, breakfast at 7:30 and off in a bus with 3 guides and 6 other people. We climbed to 4750m (this will be the highest we have been and will go). At 4750m we all got out of the bus sporting not waterproof trousers, a black jacket, a white waterproof jacket, gloves, helmet, a buff and goggles. We were assigned a bike each with pretty impressive front and back wheel suspension.

The guide Matt was great, giving us tips on how to ride your mountain bike fast, how to adjust your weight etc - this all might seem pretty standard stuff but it helped alot!

We set off in the snow and mountains down 34km of tarmac. Zooming around twisty roads with waterfalls and steep drops, overtaking lorries! At about 12 we came to the bit which we had all been waiting for 'The Worlds Most Dangerous Road'. It is 30km of a gravel road, complete with 400m straight drops down the side, waterfalls overhead, streams, landslides, trees in the way. Don't look down because that´s where you´ll end up we were told! It used to be a main road but a year ago they built a much safer one with barriers.

Hopefully the link below will work...

http://www.gravitybolivia.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=PhotohighlightsfromtheWorldsMostDangerousRoad

It was amazing, we went so fast through the pooring rain, following one of the guides, hairing around tight gravel bends, trying not to loose your bike and concentrating on the big boulders in your way.

At the end, exhausted, soaked, hot and dirty we arived in a town called Corico where we were taken to an animal refuge and given a glass of beer and a t-shirt for 'surviving'.

Next a shower and a buffet, what a great way to finish!

The animal refuge was just full of different kids of monkeys, cats, dogs, puppys, kittens, parrots, geese and a cockerel, all roaming around together. We also watched to video that one of the guides had taken for the day. Great stuff.

I would do this all again and would recommend it to anyone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Built into the cliffBuilt into the cliff
Built into the cliff

If you look very closely you can see another group taking a break on the right hand side.
Me taking a breakMe taking a break
Me taking a break

(waiting for the others)


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb