An Aymara experience


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Sorata
November 1st 2010
Published: December 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Some of the great things being out of your comfort zone is the opportunity to experience and compare how varied cultures observe significant dates or holidays. In this case, November 1st, in a diverse and rich culture as Bolivia, we wanted to experience first hand how significant this day is and how it differs from North America. Unfortunately, since were the typical point and shoot travelers (without guide books). We mostly relied on information from locals and a fellow travelers that we stumble upon.

Some locals managed to refer us to the town of Sorata. An area Northeast of La Paz, known for its good biking terrains and a rich practice of Aymara culture. For an added bonus, its situated in a lower elevated area. which means more oxygen for my brain and lungs (love it!). Getting to Sorata from Copacabana turned out to be more of a challenge than we expected. Due to limited commuting options, getting to Sorata from Copacana wasn't easy to come by. We ended up hiring a cab, which probably cost us a little bit more than we bargained for but was well worth it as it gave us an opportunity to stop on small towns and marvel at wonderful landscapes.

We arrived a day before the 1st of November and the small town of Sorata was busy leading up to the next day. Part of the Aymara belief is that during the 1st of November, spirits of loved ones that has passed this earth comes back at noon of November 1st. This happens to be a strong belief system that in order to honour this tradition. Living family members prepare food and have a great dining experience, as if having a normal family gathering or celebration (with the diseased). Powered by the playing of wind pipes and drums, it is no mystery why they can easily fall into a deep trans and feel a great connection with Pachamama (mother nature).

I have to admit, there were moments that I was tempted to take pictures as an outside observer but in order to truly experience and honour this tradition, I muscled the strength and held back on that appealing notion and let every bit of encounter just sink in. Looking at things from a different perspective, I find that this tradition carries such weight and spirituality, which continues to hold true to the numerous practices (slowly disappearing) that's been passed down for future generations to cherish. I'm glad that we belonged to the lucky few, who managed to live through this ordeal before it completely fades away.

Afterward that enriching event, we decided to do a short trek to a popular cave. Although the cavern wasn't that exquisite (as we were told). Getting there while the snow peaks hover over the background was a great way to end the trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb