A city amongst the clouds


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
November 5th 2010
Published: December 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Orange juicerOrange juicerOrange juicer

Manually powered
After spending numerous days on high elevation areas, we set our sights back at La Paz for the remainder of our trip and take our time to explore the city, while also hoping to purchase neat and cheap souvenirs. In the past days, our bodies have somewhat grown accustomed to its oxygen deprived state, so we figured, frequent strolls around the hilly parts will be less challenging this time around. Don’t get me wrong, La Paz by far is still situated 3,600 meters above sea level and pacing yourself on its busy streets remains to be the key ingredient.

The great part of the day is when mists blanket the area as the early rays of sun light pierces through the city (such a surreal sight). The surrounding mountains itself remains to be a spectacle as terraces of houses are built on its edges. Hopefully, soil erosion doesn’t play in the picture in the near future as I would hate to see how devastating it could impact countless lives.

In the next few days, we immersed ourselves by visiting vista points, trying out local food and pastries. We also found that the main plaza was a nice place to hangout for some coffee and treats. In case you happen to stumble upon this area; you’ll notice that flocks of pigeons are strolling around the grounds while it waits for a nice meal. I tried feeding a few with my hand, although its cool to be in touch with friendly fowls, be prepared to have your extremities nicked by their beaks once and a while.

The market by itself is comparable to any touristy souvenir joints with the exception of things a little bit cheaper in Bolivia. Case in point, we purchased some alpaca wool shawls for around $20 USD as oppose to $40-$50 range if bought in Peru (love it!).

As we count our days to departure, we reveled on the fact that staying in the city this time around was a great idea. La Paz by itself is just not your ordinary city, it’s one of the few places were tradition and outside influences blend in a harmonious contrasts that gives the place its unique character.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Snow capsSnow caps
Snow caps

A glimpse of snow capped mountains


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb