Heaven on earth...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Sorata
June 21st 2010
Published: June 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

...at least in Bolivia according to many



Sorata is a beautiful place and if not heaven on earth, at least a great place to spend some days if you are in Bolivia. With Illampu in the background and the jungle right down in the valley it´s not a coincidence that many guidebooks describe it as one of the most beautiful places in Bolivia.

After nearly a week in La Paz it was great to get in to this town where everything is "tranquilo". We decided to go for a walk towards Laguna Chillata on Saturday. This is on the way up to Illampu and probalby the most popular walk in the area. We headed off without map or guide, pretty confident that this was an easy walk. We cut off a few altitude meters by taking a taxi to Kolani at 2900 (ca). From there we followed some trails uphill and hang on to a shepherd. After hitting a road and then taking something we thought was a short cut, we found ourselves on a ridge which ended in a steep crag... Stupid tourists... : )
Anyway, it was a beautiful walk up there and we actually fell asleep in the sun at nearly 4000 meters. But Laguna Chillata have to be another time.

The next day we did a walk up a hill on the opposit side of Sorata, which has great views over Sorata with Illampu in the background, and the jungle down on the other side of the hill.

We spent the last nights in Sorata in Hostal Las Piedras which is run by a woman from Germany. She made the best best breakfast so far in Bolivia with proper bread and pancakes. She was also full of information and interesting thoughts about the country, the people and the politics. It´s always interesting to get information from many different sources.

Besides the walking we spent the time relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere in Sorata, while we where waiting for a trip from Sorata to Guanay.
(Which I will tell you more about in the next blog entry...)






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



27th June 2010

Nice :)
Så digge bilder mr Hendis!! Kos dere
27th June 2010

Dette høres herlig ut....
kanskje akkurat en type tur som ville passe for selv gamle far:-) Fine bilder Magnus, nytt kamera hørte jeg rykter om! Håper formen er bedre og at du slipper flere sykedager! Kos dere videre!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb