Settling in...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
October 31st 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have a jeep and two kittens! The kittens are super cute... and a little undersized when we brought them (for a grand total of $5, what a barg!). We got the kittens home and realised we didn't know much about looking after them... but they are still alive. We discovered on returning to our home that one was flea-infested... so we demonstrated a flea to the woman in the pet shop and managed to solve that problem... but it was a painful experience for all involved. And I just saw the most massive-ist cat in my life the other day... I'm slightly worried we're going to have to share our tiny apartment with two giant Bolivian tiger-cats.

But more importantly (if you are James) we have a beast of a jeep! It's a 1979 Toyota Landcruiser... or in other words its a white jeep with red stripes and big tyres. James is a happy camper. It has been pure bliss being able to drive places and not having to wait for many hours for public transport. We have so much more time on my hands! James had his first chance at driving off-road when we drove to the Devil's Tooth (see first photo). We were going to hike to the top... but a massive lightening display and huge hail balls made us turn around.

Over the last month I have been the teacher of eleven year 6 and year 7 students at Highlands... the same school at which James is teaching. I didn't expect myself to be ever teaching primary kids... It has been a lot of fun. I've got the kids doing exercise every morning. They'll be kiwi kids in no time! All they need is some weetbix and vegemite. James and I took all the kids to the zoo today for a science trip and we convinced some students to try 'New Zealand chocolate'. Surprisingly, every kid wanted to taste this 'chocolate' for themselves... and there was much coughing and spluttering afterwards. The biggest exhibition in the zoo was James eating a vegemite sandwich.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TihuanacoTihuanaco
Tihuanaco

These ruins date back to somewhere around 500-800 BC. The recent reconstruction is apparently a lot less impressive than the original.
Walking amongst the ruinsWalking amongst the ruins
Walking amongst the ruins

A lot more still to be excavated.


3rd November 2006

Your scary experiences
We have been following all your journal entries with great interest. We are pleased as your uncle and auntie to hear of these risky adventures after knowing you are safe and sound again. We have just returned from Jasper and Vancouver. The bears were hibenating but we saw some moose and elk. Love to you both
4th November 2006

cool truck
hi there, we miss you. I wish i had a landcruiser like that one. Sorry that im a usless emailer. We get your blogs all the time they are so cool. Had a beer with dylan thursday he is all good. Miss you guys, praying for you (we are doing a 21 day fast for church soup and juice) your on our prayer list. God bless!!!!!
4th November 2006

Finally!
It's great to see a new entry on your page- showcasing the kittens and the jeep! Hope you guys are having fun rafting!
6th November 2006

Kitten Envy
Hello - we miss you and we are jelous of your jeep and your kittens. We are not fasting but we are fat....boo hoo...We miss you guys! Off to Onemana this weekend - the scene of the engagement crime! Come home soon. Love you heaps - the tipladies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6th November 2006

Jon is so jealous...
Jon wishes he had that truck! Guys and their toys! Did you get our message from our director when they came to visit your school? We sent our warm wishes. Hopefully, we will get together soon. Love, Rachel, Jon, Kierra and Raegan
10th November 2006

Cruel Kiwis
I remember that "NZ chocolate" trick. Man, you guys are cruel! Picking on us poor northerners who have never seen the stuff. haha. So glad to see that you are doing good. You guys look great. Julie, you know that having pets is the first step to having children... James beware. Love you both. xo.
14th November 2006

Yo Mis Amigos
Its cool being able to follow where you guys are going and seeing whats happening. I didn't realise I was so cute and that you had to replace me with not one but two kittens.

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb