Inca Heights Tour - Week 3


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
October 16th 2005
Published: December 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Our final visit to Inca ruins took us to Saqsaywaman which was a very amusing trip. Our guide was very comical and took some great photos of us stretched out across boulders and going into dark, narrow tunnels. We celebrated our Inca Trail achievement that night with champagne, followed by (very strong) vodkas at Paddy´s.

We woke up with a (well earnt) hangover and set off to Puno for the Lake Titikaka trip. The trip started with a race in tuk-tuks down to the harbour (we were winning until we got stuck on a train track). We then got the boat onto the Lake and set off to Uros, the floating reed islands.

At Uros we learnt how the islands are made and tasted some reed which the locals eat to keep their teeth clean. We then got a boat made entirely of reed to another island. Then the original boat took us to an island called Amanti where we stayed with local families.

Amanti was an interesting experience. The families eat only carbs, at each meal they have soup, rice, pasta and potatoes- we were ready to explode after our second meal of the same! In the evening they threw a party for us and we all got to laugh at each other in the traditional costumes they had put us in!! Much dancing and drinking was done by all.

On the way back to Puno the boy driving the boat fell asleep and we crashed into the reeds where we got stuck. Our friend Red had to call a passing boat to drag us out.

The last leg of the tour took us to La Paz in Bolivia (not Lorna´s favourite place). We spent a couple of days wandering the markets and exploring the city. On a city tour we visited the Luna Valley, which as its name suggests, looks like the moon. We had two fantastic meals in a French restaurant, one of the top 3 restaurants in South America.

Then sadly, we had to say goodbye to our new found friends and set of on our own again as any further adventure into Bolivia was cut short by the unrest surrounding upcoming elections and all the road blocks it brought.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th December 2005

That is really something. Much more like it. Thank you - i know it takes a long time to do this Love to you both xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb