Dried Llamas and Ghost Riders? It Could Only Be La Paz!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Witches MarketWitches MarketWitches Market

Enough talismans to ward off an entire demon army.
I wanted to write another quick update to let you all know what we've been getting up to all this time in La Paz but to be honest with you, I can't quite remember! That is to say that we've really just been relaxing, doing the mandatory onward travel research and generally watching a lot of movies. We've spent many happy hours just wandering around the city finding all of our usual favourite things like a proper comic shop for Glynn (all in Spanish though) and plenty of Hello Kittie goodies to keep me happy. Glynn also picked himself up a couple of wrestling masks, as you do. Check out the photos for a good laugh!

We also took in the infamous Witches Market that sells all manner of oddities like dried llama foetuses and stuffed baby crocodiles that are used locally to bring good fortune. It was a bit creepy. Glynn spent a couple of days with a very poorly tummy although we can't quite pinpoint the cause given that we both ate and drank the same stuff all weekend. Thankfully a giant takeaway pizza sorted it all out again. Not very Bolivian but definitely tasty!

A
Llama Karma?Llama Karma?Llama Karma?

These dried llamas get bought by new business to bring good luck. Not sure just how that works...
couple of days ago we finally booked ourselves on to a jungle tour and on Friday 13th (uh-oh), we'll be flying off to Rurrenabaque in the Amazon for a 3-day trek amongst all the wildlife. That was followed by a bit of a frenzied scout around the pharmacies for malaria tablets. Nowhere sells Malarone here in Bolivia so we had to settle for Doxycycline, which is what we used in Asia. Got to hand it to this country for being so cheap though as the tablets cost us just 1 Boliviano each here (about 7 pence) whereas back home we paid a whopping £1 per tablet - outrageous!

We finished off our day with a trip to the cinema, something we like to experience in these far flung foreign countries. For 12 Bs (less than £1) we took in a matinee double bill of 'In Pursuit of Happyness' (very good) followed by 'Ghost Rider' (well, Glynn enjoyed it!). It was only a little cinema, similar to the one we went to in China, and the seats were a bit on the hard side for such a long sitting but who's complaining at that price?!

I'll finish up the
Oh BabyOh BabyOh Baby

Poor little dried llama foetuses.
blog with another selection of photos from around town taken on various days. We hope everyone is keeping well and please dont forget to leave us some messages as we always love to here from you.

Ámazon jungle, here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Foxy-DilloFoxy-Dillo
Foxy-Dillo

No idea what the poor fox and armadillo did to deserve this fate.
Behind the Green DoorBehind the Green Door
Behind the Green Door

One of the funky doorways here in La Paz.
LunchtimeLunchtime
Lunchtime

Lunch in the restaurant Confiteria Manantial at the bottom of the Hotel Gloria. We got all this for 17Bs and there´s still a main course to come!
Happy EasterHappy Easter
Happy Easter

Easter Sunday celebrations on the streets of La Paz.
Gringo AlleyGringo Alley
Gringo Alley

Glynn heads down to tourist souvenir heaven.
Presidential PalacePresidential Palace
Presidential Palace

I think this place is the government building. It certainly looked very important!
Stop the PigeonStop the Pigeon
Stop the Pigeon

Jude, I think you´re surrounded!
Oh Linda!Oh Linda!
Oh Linda!

This one´s for you, Miss Richardson!
Dark SkiesDark Skies
Dark Skies

View across La Paz from the Plaza San Francisco. It´s generally sunny here in the morning, gloomy in the afternoon and very cold at night!
Tiny CinemaTiny Cinema
Tiny Cinema

How dinky is this cinema?!
A Bunch of Nutcases!A Bunch of Nutcases!
A Bunch of Nutcases!

(l-r) Heather, Tom, Jude & Glynn. No idea what any of them are doing!
WWE Harris-timeWWE Harris-time
WWE Harris-time

Glynn goes in for the smackdown.
Smack My Bitch UpSmack My Bitch Up
Smack My Bitch Up

I can see you´re really scared!


14th April 2007

masks
hi kids i like your masks they are brill i must tell gloria that you found a hotel named after her she will be pleased im glad your tummy is ok glynn make sure you take all your tablets wont you ok hope you enjoy your trip in the jungle be very carefull love mom and dad x x x x for jish x x x x x
4th May 2007

Thanks!
Thanks for including the photo of the bus with Linda on it - Seems an odd sort of destination - or do you see it as a sort of "yoo-hoo" attention this way please sort of sign? It's cool anyway. Glynn you look fierce in that mask - it seems to be doing something unpleasant and uncomfortable to your nose though!

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb