Copacabana (Bolivia) and Isla del Sol


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Copacabana is congested with huge hotels, buses to and from Peru, and tour agencies offering trips to Isla del Sol. The cathedral is impressive, but there is little else to do but wait to go to the islands. Spend as little time as possible in Copacabana and spend at least one night on Isla del Sol, if not more.

The ferry to the north end of Isla del Sol left at 8:30 AM and cost 15 Bolivianos (2 USD). The retun trip from the south was 20 Bolivianos, and there are fees throughout the island trail that add up to 20 more. Add 20 for a basic room, 40 more for restaurants, and the entire trip cost only 15-20 USD.

This is as good a place as any for the sun to be born. It doesn´t look too impressive from the ferry, but once I climbed the hills on the island, the scenery was spectacular. It could easily be mistaken for a Greek Isle. The trail takes about three hours to walk if you are moving at a good pace, and there are ruins and miradors scattered throughout. There are two or three difficult hills, but the trail is well-kept and easy to follow.

The town on the south end of the island is like a mini Copacabana, but the views apologize plenty for the mass of hotels and restaurants. There isn´t much to do in town, but if you´re looking for somewhere to relax, spending two nights here would be worthwhile.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb