72 Days in Bolivia, time to wrap it up !


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rambo dog!Rambo dog!Rambo dog!

Check the video to see how much he liked his cargo jacket!
Did a quick calc on the bus this morning, 72 days in Bolivia. Wow. That was the last place we´d expect to spend most of our time!! More than 7 weeks.....

Very simple reasons though, we came in from the east (Santa Cruz) and we had to look really hard for tours. No hawkers trying to flog you any second rate tours! No sir, the ones we did, Chiquitos, Ambore, were pleasant and well organised. Samapiata was nice and relaxing, and Sucre a real treat. definately the best place for us to spend time and learn Spanish!

But then, we got onto the gringo trail, the west. The saving grace here was mother nature in all it´s glory and beauty: Tha Salar, the Pampas, that death road, and now also Lake Titicaca..... highly recomended!

But by the end the local people let it down a bit. The local currency (Boliviano) isn´t strong, so most things are dirt cheap. But they also know gringo dollars, and love them, so have no reservation to scr*w you. Petty theft is one term that comes to mind. Our travel agent (dutch) in Sucre was very right, they should just charge more! Westerners can afford it, and they can use the extra cash for a) some extra income of course, so they don´t have to hawk around with toursists, b) just maintain their cars, lodges, etc etc in a proper way, and thus offer a better and more reliable service, c) just work together properly, organise better, and book things properly..... seems simple.

Either way, all good, happy that we spent this much time here, happy that there was so much to see and do, happy for all the natural beauty, but also happy now to head on to the next stamp in our passports !!


PS: I´ll try to upload picture and video of a very itchy "Rambo dog" in Copa soon. Very territorial too, he peed against one of his owners tables.... on a terras were we had a drink 😊


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb