Tafi del Valle to Copacabana


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Over night busOver night busOver night bus

super comodo
Friday 16th March
Getting anywhere in Argentina takes a very long time, and in an attempt to be somewhere other than a city for my Birthday, we spent a day and a night (and 3 buses later) travelling from Iguazú all the way to Tafí del Valle, at the foot of the Andes. It was nice to be in the slightly cooler climate, and enjoying something a little more mountainous. Sick of sitting on buses, Àngel and I paced it up a somewhat large hill. A ‘hill’ might not sound impressive, but at a few thousand metres altitude, it is no walk in the park! After feeling quite accomplished, we wander back down our hill and treated ourselves to some homemade chocolate. Yum!
Due North, we found ourselves in a little place called Cafayate. At this point Àngel and I both agreed that it was our favourite overall place. Other than the fantastic wine the region produces, the town has character, its people are out of the way friendly, the weather is temperate and our accommodation had a pool!!!! Fantastic! We biked, swam and drank wine. Outside of Cafayate’s pleasant microclimate the views are far from leafy. Desert and rock formations
Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to me...

Oreos, My Pressie from Àngel. Such a treat, especially after all night on the bus.
as far as the eye can see. Pretty for about an hour, but not really our cup of tea. We settled for the drive-by tourism in this case.
The Argentine -Bolivian border is easy to cross and easy to forget. Leaving the place however, all depends on the rain and road status, or if travelling via tracks, the infrequently timetabled train. We plumped for the train, since the buses were also on strike, and I’m a little afraid of the roads in this place. Owing to a small act of stupidity/luck, we were up at 6:30am and waiting outside the train station by 7. ‘Tontos’ because we actually thought it was 8am, and had forgotten that there’s a one hour time difference on crossing the border... ‘Luck’ because there was already a line waiting to buy their tickets for the 3:30pm train! - We also met a new travelling companion a great guy, Frederich the Germany. Dreading the 9 hour train ride ahead, we weren’t particularly pleased when the train stopped only an hour in and the conductor announced that we’d be waiting at least 3 to 4 hours and if we cared to hop off and wander around it would be no problem at all.(Ta) So... in the middle of almost nowhere, will killed time chatting to some interesting Bolivians (our favourite, the healthiest 84 year old we’ve ever met) and a number of tourists from all over. The dining wagon quickly turned into a group gathering, whilst one tourist taught another tourist to chew a mix of Coca leaves and baking soda, (wards off altitude sickness.) An acquired taste, but I personally think it tastes like a horse smells. Àngel conversely describes it more like pistachio. Anyway, the rain began to bucket down, tracks could not be cleared and 4 hours turned to 14. Looking on the bright side of life, we were able to do the whole trip in daylight, and take in the slow climb all the way up to the Altiplano of Uyuni, 3600 metres.
The Salt flats in Uyuni are like nothing else, and trying to explain would take far too long. I think we were extremely lucky to find them glistening in a foot of water, so definitely not complaining about the end of the rainy season. I’ll leave the rest to the photos.
Finding a hostel in Potosí seemed futile, where everything
red in the facered in the facered in the face

Not sunburn, just unfit!
was a scummy hovel and overly expensive. But thanks to a very friendly German (we like Germans) who pointed us in the right direction, we found a quaint little corner hotel. Doubly grand, there we met a terrific couple from Holland.
Being at an altitude of 4070m is hard on the lungs and hard on the head! Splitting headaches are very common. Good for training lung capacity, but I’ll stick to my thick dense air down at sea level thanks.
Entering the mines of “Cerro Rico” was a bit shell shocking. It felt like a museum tour of a Shanty Town mine, only it was still up and running, 24 hours a day. Little has change in the 462 years the mountain has been mined, and I can honestly say I didn’t feel all that safe trudging through the mine shafts. To the miners, the biggest danger is the toxic air they breathe. When their lungs are declared 50% useless, they’re allowed to retire.
Potosí seemed to be full of friendly and interesting tourists, that evidently all spoke Spanish. Not particularly normal, but it is enjoyable to sit at a table with Italians, Dutch, Canadians, and North Americans, all speaking
Top of the hillTop of the hillTop of the hill

Tafí del valle
Spanish.
We got to Sucre and just hung out for a bit. Room standards were top notch. Go the Grand Hotel! We were also particularly pleased with our 2 euro meal in the ‘Mercado’ cooked on the spot by a friendly Bolivian lady. The city is very nice, with fantastic architecture by far too many people for us.
Bolivia has a problem... it is contently protesting something, and whenever there’s a demonstration it’s quite normal for everything to stop! Buses, Taxis... all on hold. We happened upon the Campesinos protesting the absolute lack of gas available to them. We had two options, stay in Sucre until they sorted it out with the Government, or catch a plane straight up to La Paz. The 45min flight was delightful, and when two days later the roads were still blocked, we were even more satisfied with our decision.
What can I say about La Paz? I don’t generally like big cities, and this one was overrun with horn happy automobiles, people, tourists (yes, us included) and what do you know, demonstrations! After visiting the Coca Museum, we elected to catch the next bus up to Copacabana, and Lake Titicaca. New problem... We were
First swimFirst swimFirst swim

And the last actually... gutted! PISCENA!!!!!
about to hit “The day of the Sea.” We were advised to catch the 6am bus so that we would not run into the parades and consequent road blocks along the way. Sadly and to great annoyance, the bus did not come until 8am and we met up with the parade mid march. Yet again we were left to wait 2, 3 hours.
After an interesting ferry crossing (Cars in one boat, people in another) we made it to Copacabana, and tomorrow we are off on a little boat trip to the Island of the Sun.

P.S. Cristina Fuentes is cool.
Yendo donde sea en Argentina dura mucho tiempo, y para que no estuviéramos en una ciudad para mi cumpleaños, decidimos coger 3 buses (y 26 horas más tarde) para llegar a Tafí del Valle, al pie del los Andes. Disfrutando del clima más fresquito decidimos hacer una caminada pequeñita. Puede ser que fue más un cerro que una montaña, pero a unos cuantos mil metros, ¡no es ninguna caminada en el parque!

Siguiendo el camino hacia el norte, nos encontrábamos en un lugarcito que se llama Cafayate. Hasta ahora, Àngel y yo estamos de acuerdo en que
CafayateCafayateCafayate

Las Viñas bonitas de Cafayate
este lugar es nuestra favorita. No es solo por el hecho que la zona produje vinos fantásticos, sino porque también el pueblo tiene carácter, la gente es muy amable, el tiempo templado, y nuestra alojamiento tenía una piscina!!!!!!! ¡Fantástico! Bici, nadar, y beber. ¡Qué vida!

Fuera del microclima agradable de Cafayate, las vistas no son nada verdes. Desierto y rocas se ven en todas direcciones. Estuvimos contentos con el tour relámpago del bus. Bonito por media hora, pero allí para.

La frontera de Argentina/Bolivia es fácil de cruzar pero más fácil de olvidar. Sin embargo, dejándolo para atrás siempre depende en la lluvia y el estado de las carreteras… o si viajando con tren, depende en el horario poco frecuente. A pesar de todo, decidimos tomar el tren. Para conseguir un ‘boleto’ de tren, se tiene que hacer cola a las 7 de la mañana, para el tren de las 15.30. Por suerte… o por tonto, estuvimos a la estación una hora más temprano porque habíamos olvidado de que Bolivia y Argentina tienen una hora de diferencia. Allí nos hemos conocido a un nuevo compañero de viaje, y un chico fantástico - ¡Frederich el Alemán!

Ya temiendo
UVAS!!!! UVAS!!!! UVAS!!!!

mmmm.... grapes!
el viaje de 9 horas, no estuvimos particularmente contentos cuando el tren se paró y el conductor anunciaba que estaríamos esperando unos 3 o 4 horas. Así que en el medio de ningún lugar, matábamos tiempo hablando con turistas de todas partes y algunos Bolivianos muy interesantes, (nuestro favorito, un hombre de 84 años, y tan fuerte como un roble.) El vagón del comedor rápidamente se convirtió en el lugar social donde todos masticaban hojas de coca y bicarbonato. (Combate el mal de altura.) Un sabor muy interesante, pero yo personalmente creo que sabe como un caballo huele! Por otro lado, Àngel lo compara a algo más parecido al pistacho. Bueno, al final, cuatro horas se convirtieron en 14. Lo bueno es que hemos hecho todo el viaje por día, y podíamos ver el paisaje hasta el altiplano de Uyuni, 3600 metros.

Los Salares de Uyuni son fantásticos, pero ni voy a intentar de explicarlos. Teníamos suerte de encontrarlos cubiertos en 20cm de agua, así que no me quejo del final de la temporada de lluvia. El resto dejaré que te cuenten las fotos. La ver dad es que era maravilloso.

La esfuerza de buscar un albergue en
Coca leavesCoca leavesCoca leaves

Ojas de coca
Potosí parecía en vano. Todo era asqueroso y excesivamente caro. Pero… gracias a un Alemán (nos gustan los Alemanes) quien nos dirigió a su hospedaje pintoresco. Aun mejor, allí conocimos una fantástica pareja Holandesa.
Es impresionante y terrible entrando las minas del “Cerro Rico.” Sentía como un tour de museo, solamente que aún está en funcionamiento. Poco ha cambiado en los 462 años desde que empezaban a extraer minerales de la montaña, y la verdad es que no sentí nada segura vagando por allí abajo. Para los mineros, el mayor peligro es el aire toxico, y su único alivio son las hojas de coca que mastiquen cada día, todo día.
Potosí estaba lleno de turistas amistosos e interesantes, y… efectivamente, ¡todos hablaban español! No es realmente normal, pero es un placer estar en la mesa con Italianos, Canadienses, Estadounidenses y Holandeses, todos hablando en Castellano.
En Sucre la habitación era de primera clase (según nuestra cualificación por lo menos) - Ánimos el Grand Hotel. También estuvimos bastante orgullosos de haber encontrado la cena en el mercado por 2 euros. La ciudad es muy bonita, con arquitectura muy interesante.

Bolivia tiene un problema… La gente está constantemente manifestándose, y cuando
Angel at the stationAngel at the stationAngel at the station

Angel esperando el tren
lo hacen, lo normal es que todo para. Buses, taxis… no hay manera. Esta vez, nosotros nos tocaban los bloqueos de campesinos, quienes no tienen gas natural para ni cocinar. Había dos opciones, esperar que se pongan de acuerdo con el gobierno, o coger un avión directo a La Paz. Por suerte, decidimos tomar el avión, porque los 2 día siguientes, aún no estaba solucionado.

¿Qué puedo decir sobre la Paz? No me gustan las ciudades grandes en general, y en este caso, estaba agotado de coches, gente, turistas, y por supuesto ¡manifestaciones! Así que después de haber visitado el Museo de la Coca, resolvimos coger el próximo bus a Copacabana, y el Lago Titicaca. El problema fue que en camino a Copacabana había una marcha por el día del Mar. Pensábamos haber combatido este problema en reservar tiquete con el bus de las 6 de la mañana. Lamentablemente, el bus no vino hasta las 8, y encontrábamos las marchas justo a medio hacer. - Otra vez a esperar 2, 3 horas.
Finalmente en Copacabana, mañana vamos hacer una vueltita en barco hasta el Isla del Sol.





Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Tracks to where?Tracks to where?
Tracks to where?

Adonde van estos????
StrandedStranded
Stranded

Parados!
Still StrandedStill Stranded
Still Stranded

Parados aun!
Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid CountryButch Cassidy & Sundance Kid Country
Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid Country

Where they were famously killed


2nd April 2007

HEI, DAY BY DAY I KEEP ADDING JEOLOUS TO MY LIST OF MOMENT WHICH I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE JUST GOT BACK FROM VENICE.... THE CITY OF LOVE... BUT DON'T WORRY I HAVEN'T FOUND MY LOVE SO AT THE MOMENT YOU DON'T HAVE A WEDDING SOON. JAJAJA. CRISTINA FUENTES IS COOL.... THAT'S WHAT YOU WROTE!!!!!!!!!! THANKS... YES I AM, JAJAJJA. KISSES TO BOTH YOU YOU. I MISS YOU
21st May 2007

Fantabulous!
Hola! Mendo just showed me your fantastic travel blog, it's great! Sounds like you're having the trip of a lifetime!!! Even though I barely know you guys I can see you're both pretty special people. Thankyou again for inviting us to your wedding, it was really a special occasion which I feel privileged to be a part of. The Love you share was really evident and your family were so generous. Please thank them again for us. Salud to 2 very inspiring people! Nic.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb