Insect food... In the jungle


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello

Lo and I have been eaten alive by the insects in the jungle.
We have had a 4 day adventure trekking in the jungle. It has been challenging and fun.

I dont think we realised what we were letting ourselves in for. We started out backpacks full of essentials and jungle wear. We set off in a jeep, 2 french people, a danish girl (Mie, who we met in Arg and will be travelling with for a bit) and us two - off into the middle of the jungle.

It took the flys about 3 seconds to smell the european blood, and about 3 more for them to tuck in. We were all rushing for the DEET, but not fast enough- we were covered. We walked through the jungle with our backpacks, it was really difficult as the ground was so slippy, there were huge ants - that bite, and they really really hurt.

After a 30 min walk our guide pointed to the river and told us we had to cross.... ok no problem - but where was the boat? .. there was no boat, we had to walk across. So zapatos (shoes) off, pantalones(trousers) rolled up, a bamboo stick in hand for balance - we all headed across the river. It was fine for a while, until the current got really strong and the stones really slippy. I was just about holding myself up when I heard Lo shout - Hayley, Im scared Im gonna fall in! ... I said dont be silly you wont fall in.... then SPLASH!!! ¡Hayley, Ive fell in!

Poor Lo, her gringo weapon (camera) got wet, and has since not been able to take any photos with it. When we got to the other side all the repellant had washed off so we stood there being eaten again.

We carried on into the jungle, crossing more streams, under the canopy of the rainforest. It was amazing. We pitched our tents up, had lunch and headed for a beautiful waterfall, where we took a swim/shower. It was lovely, felt like we were on a commercial for invigorating shower gel or something.

After spending all night itching our appendages, we set off the next day in search of more amazing waterfalls. We climbed really high, following the river up, passing loads of waterfalls and rocks etc. Sticking close behind the guide, who had a sharp knife to clear the follage and spiderswebs. The spiders webs were huge, as were the spiders... It was horrible walking through one, and shouting - get it off me! it was an involuntry reflex action. We also saw a snake, which was apperently an aggressive one, luckily it didnt come after us as, if we took one step back we would have dropped 50 metres. It darted off the other way.

It started to rain heavily and even though the canopy stops most of it getting through, we all go soaked, but partly because it was so humid too. The rivers were getting higher so our shoes were soaked too.

On the third day we headed back through the jungle towards the river (after being told that we had to cross it again), we passed a tree that was amazing. You could climb it from the inside, it was fun to climb it.

I love the jungle, it is so green and the air and water feels so pure. If only the insects werent so annoying.
After the trekking, we headed straight on a bus for 16 hours to La Paz. Even so, we still werent the smelliest people on the bus!

Will add pictures soon
x









Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb