Sucre


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The bus ride from Potosi to Sucre was alas paved and smooth, my bum surely apreciated such a thing. And it was again very beautiful giving the passengers sweeping views of vast valleys below. Sucre is, however, completely different then the rest of Bolivia. It seems as though all of Bolivia´s money found its way to Sucre, the cars are even in better shape then in Argentina. they have a mall with a cinima and everything, all the kids drive wear designer clothes and drive tinted windowed racers. The reason there is so much money here is casue sucre is the secondery capital, the national courts are here, and so there are a lot of politicians, and in such a corupt country, politics and wealth are one and the same. Bolivia recently elected Evo Moralles, as their new president and he brought in a whole new philosophy. He legalized coca chewing, a tradition rooted thousands of years into this people´s beautiful culture, and he stands up for the poor and the people living in the country. He gave solar panales and an entire electronics set up to every home in the country side, he is slowly but surely paving the long roads between the mountain towns, we have been seeing his work as we drive the long bus rides. But Sucre hates him cause they are the rich upper class who have always had money and there is even a powerful movement in Sucre pressing for the sucsession of the province from the rest of Bolivia. We see signs all the time here in Sucre. Another fact that shows the emense wealth in Sucre is its the only place in bolivia with a water treatment plant, you can drink the tap water.

Russ and I meet these awsome, insanely musical french guys and we jammed a lot. We also met these sweet ass guys from Barcelona last night and had a grand old time. Sucre is really nice none the less as a tourist cause it provides a break from the disfunctional Bolivia that egsists right beyond the town line, and it is still just as cheap. You can get a meal in the market for 10 BOlivianos, which is about 1.25 dollars. and I got a pure silver ring for less then five bucks. there are a bunch of street vendors selling fresh fruit smoothies too which are dilicous.

Advertisement



16th December 2008

Nice article
A really interesting article considering it comes from a foreign. I live in Sucre and a lot of what you’ve said is true.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb