Welcome to the Jungle...


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

...Trust me its paradise...this is where the hungry come to feed...for ours is a generation that circles the globe in search of something we havent tried before...so never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay your welcome...just keep your mind open and suck in the experience and if it hurts, you know what, it was probably worth it...you hope and you dream but you never believe that something is gonna happen for you, not like it does in the movies and when it actually does, you expect it to feel different, more viseral, more real...i still believe in paradise and now at least i know its not some place you can look for...cause its not where you go, its how you feel for a moment in your life...and when you find that moment, it will last forever...thats paradise...

So finally, we blog again, and yes Emily we are still alive...so last we left you all we were in Machu picchu, lots has happened since then...

We set off from Cusco, to Lake Titicaca and Bolivia and we were not let down, as the scenery and people were amazing. We arrived in Puno, Peru (adjacent to Bolivia) to witness the floating islands of Uros. The islands, houses and boats are all made out of a type of reed that grows in that part of the lake...pretty cool...

From there it was into bolivia to Copacobana, a cool little hippie type town where we chilled out for a couple of days by the lake, bringing beers out on our swan shaped paddle boat that was about as cheesy as it gets but we are nerds so why not...

Then off to La Paz, the capital city of Bolivia at 3800m...we loved this city, unlike any city that i can imagine...the only word to describe it is absolute chaos, a crazy madness of protests, fireworks, crazy shops, great cafes, and amazing sushi, we were in heaven after a month of bland, identical food...a great city to explore on foot...we visited the witches market and mercado negro (black market) where they sell potions and llama fetuses for medicinal uses...crazy

Then to Coroico, a small quaint town at the start of the Bolivian jungle...we stayed in the most amazing hotel either of us have ever seen, private balcony overlooking the whole valley, huge pool, and bar, however, this is the place where i was on my death bed for a week...had really bad food poisoning, it sucked...

Finally healthy, we moved on to Rurrenebaque...lets take the bus we say, sure why not, its only supposed to be 15 hours...more like 22 hours of crynig babies, squishy seats, flat tires, buses stuck in the mud and cop dogs sniffing our shit...but worth it...when we got here we found a tour to whats called the Pampas...this was truly amazing...after a 3 hour boat ride up the river we got to our amazing jungle camp...over the next 3 days, we swam with pink river dolphins (both of our favorites as they would stay around and brush up against our feet), teri got mollested by a group of monkeys when feeding them a banana...we searched, unsuccessfully however, in the swamps for anacondas, we fished for pirahnas, went night scoping for alligators, went both nights to the most remote and amazing bar to watch the sunset, aptly named the Sunset Bar, and of course in true Canadian style, supplied our fellow travellers with rum around the campfire...it was a truly memorable experience that will never be forgotten by either...

So now back in Rurre, flying to La Paz, one bus ride was plenty trust me, then off to Uyuni to visit the Salares, the worlds largest salt flats, and to the Lagunas, which are breeding grounds for thousands of flamingoes....

On an off note, its worth mentioning the true value of this experience...the people have been so true and welcoming, a far cry from the masses back home...

Happy belated mothers day to all of the mommies, and Jill, happy birthday...I love you...and a big hello to the newest member of the fam, Ashten (hopefully the spelling is correct) and congrats to Kelli and Kris...and a happy belated bday to Steph from Mutant Island...

To everyone else, we miss you, but get over it real quick cause look where we are...peAce to all, write if you get a chance cause we LOVE getting the messages and scoop from back home...

peAcenluv...Teri and Shane...

PS - Laura, get your fuckin ass down here, it will be Shanes bday during that time...Easy...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



17th May 2007

Fy faan va ballt alltså!
Hey guys, thanks for the update. I'm reading your blog and looking at your pictures, and I'm trying not to feel jealous, trying really hard, trust me. Trying not to hate you, but it's really difficult. I'm so used to being the one who goes away on trips, I guess I'm not very good at enjoying someone else's good times, but I'm starting to come around. I can recognize the defining moments of glory in your epic adventures, and it's inspiring. You guys are awesome. Keep on rocking. One thing, though: come back, allright? Come back, and maybe we can do it again, together? Vic ps. I saw the pipe. It arrived in one peice. Bob and I fired it up with some tabacco, but it tasted a bit weird. I think there may have been some monkey brain left inside the skull. Should be good now though.
17th May 2007

"this is where the hungry come to feed...for ours is a generation that circles the globe in search of something we havent tried before...so never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay your welcome...just keep your mind open and suck in the experience and if it hurts, you know what, it was probably worth it...you hope and you dream but you never believe that something is gonna happen for you, not like it does in the movies and when it actually does, you expect it to feel different, more viseral, more real...i still believe in paradise and now at least i know its not some place you can look for...cause its not where you go, its how you feel for a moment in your life...and when you find that moment, it will last forever...thats paradise" WOW... what beautiful words and so true! you guys are making me want to travel more and more everytime i read a post. the jungle looks crazy...um teri?? who looks for crazy killer snakes!! you crazy girl :) shane, you have never looked so happy and at peace...its so good to see. stay safe you guys! luv ya. steff
17th May 2007

Hey
I'm the MOM here I need more contact than every 2 weeks:):). I don't think your room has ever been this clean. Take care and have fun chat with you soon RIGHT RIGHT
17th May 2007

Incredible
Your explanation of paradise is very profound, the pictures amazing - you could sell some of them! What a relief you are feeling better and Em now knows you are both alive and doing very well! Teri, you and your mom can share monkey stories - the monkeys in Bali took a particular "like"to her - only they were a lot bigger and uglier than the little monkeys you held. Keep the blogs coming - enjoying every word and pic!
18th May 2007

WOW
Hi guys, I finally found that this is the way to get to you. I guess the 3 others probably didn't make it. Shanee, the first part of this blog is so you. ( or maybe it's Teri?) So introspective, open to the new, and drinking it all in. Way to go!!! Your pics are great, and your adventures sound awe inspiring. Keep enjoying, keep safe, and stay healthy.
18th May 2007

Hey guys! I always thought it would be beautiful in South America but I had no idea what amazing things there were to see. You guys have an awesome itinerary...you should become proffessional travel guides. Miss ya, love ya, Shannon.
18th May 2007

Werd terds
WOW... So amazing, very excited for the both of you. your pics are breathtaking, great job on the blogs thanks for keeping all of us dreaming. Well enuf about you lets talk about me (ha) Im well on my way with this whole growing of a human in my belly, 7 months now.. crazy, all is well, super mutherfuckin excited. Miss you guys tons, cant wait to see your crazy asses again. Take care of eachother... Love ya, Z
20th May 2007

Question?
Here's a little question I had after reading your blog......SOOOO what were ya' going to do when you found that anaconda you were looking for?
20th May 2007

Wicked Blog
Sick Blog guys, nice pics! Sorry we missed you the last day in La Paz, but hey we might catch up in Canada one day =) Keep livin it, Peace out
24th May 2007

Largest Rodent?
Outrageous! How the hell do you guys do it?? Must be an age thing. Keep it going. Joe T. PS. I thought Mahoney was the world's largest rodent
18th June 2007

Zita Bonita Quinita
hola you yummy mummy, Okay so first off Congrats, whats a horrible friend i´ve beeen, haven´t even taked to you sense you´ve been pregnant. We are so happy for you and Joe, can´t even imagine what it will be like to push out a little black curly little haired ZITA, it´s a little scary but very exciting!!, Apperantly we come back the exact due date of your birth, don´t worry we´ll show up with big champaigne flutes and a big stogey to celeberate!!!!!! Love you Bitches, say hi to the gang, Peace !!!!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb