Into the jungle


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Madidi
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well.. the original plan was to do 2 days jungle and 3 days Pampas but after the mozzy ordeal of thePampas we decided that we couldnt spend another night being eaten alive so we decided to do a special one day trip into the jungle!!

Little did we know that the buggars not only come out at night in the jungle but they lurk in the dark of the trees in the day so I managed to acquire another 10 bites from a few hours in the jungle!!

It was a cool trip though!!! We took a boat for about 4 hours up River Beni and Tuichi, its amazing how shallow it is in parts, the guys had to get out and push so the motor didnt catch!! It was a lovely scenic ride. so many cool trees and giant corn things, little secluded beaches and red rock ground!

They handed warned us to come prepared to wade through a river so we got a bit muddy but was fun. we walked up to camp through the jungle which was cool and colourful!!Off we went - long pants and top, all offed up and the first stop was a tree whose bark smelt of garlis, sohe rubbed it on our hands to keep the mozzys off...erm didnt work, got 5 bites on hands!!

then we swung like tarzan on the vines (ok not so cool but we tried)!!, drank water out of a tree (good for cancer supposedly), tasted the bark of the tree that helps malarial symptoms.

As soon as we had stepped in to the jungle our guide - Jesus walked into a massive spider web but didnt seem to notice/care. it was on him and I was trying to tell him in my spanglish, he finally removed it and it was about 7cm wide urghh!!

I was so clumsy, falling over every tree and twig around, dont think I could be a hunter and Sal seemed to hit the deck as soon as we got near water...was sooo funny, i just kept giggling!!

We followed a boar trail, heard woodpeckers and monkeys!! Then Jesus made us a cool head dress like the indians, Sal twanged me in the head witha branch and then it was time to go!!

I did enjoy my jungle trip but again the mozzys overshadowed it cos they were stalking us!! As well as that, I had my usual probs and was caught short in the bloody jungle...had the ´off´ out as I pulled my trousers down!!!ha ha

The boat ride back was cool, a woman got on withher six kids an dfruit for the market, she gave us some oranges and then sal trie dto help her and her sacks of oranges off the boat...so funny...I think they are abit stronger than us!!

We went out for food and then bumped in to John from York...again so went for beers and ended up in the karaoke bars...very funny, the only english song we could find was hotel california, not the best sound from us!!

We ended up stranded an extra day in Rurrenabaque....and we were desperate to get out but atleast we got a day chillin by the pool!! I really like dthe place...just a shame about the mozzys!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb