Don't cry for me Argentina!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
March 17th 2011
Published: March 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Buenos Aires, departed from the boys and experienced the true Argentinean driving. Unable to find the correct bus we took a taxi who happily drove in between two lanes, despite cars being in both lanes. Jumped red lights, pulled out on cars with an inch spare. We found out throughout our stay here this was normal behaviour, buses were just the same and when walking we witnessed a collision.

We were in Buenos Aires for 6 nights and enjoyed staying in one place for longer. During our time there we kept busy with the following:

Pink House - government building
Opened only on weekends to the public, we took a tour of the government building where the current president works. We viewed her office and the balcony which was made famous by Evita's speeches. We were tempted to sing Madonna style but thought better of it! 

Cemetery
We braved some poor weather to then walk around the cemetery where Eva Peron rests. Her grave was of interest but no where near the most spectacular! The cemetery contained a town of monuments and cased mausoleums. Statues rose higher than the nearby buildings with elaborate scenarios. One was a suited man on an altar-like table in a dramatic death pose with upset angels at his feet.

Palmero
For my birthday we were joined by Rose & Lucy and the Irish couple Fiona and Dave who we also meet in Paraty. We headed to Palmero, an area renowned for nightlife and enjoyed drinks at several bars before ending the night in the early hours of the morning.

Sunday Market
On Peru street was a continuous line of stalls and blankets showcasing clothes, jewellery, antiques and different items for sale. I brought a dress as a belated birthday present to myself which was equivalent to £6.50.
Unfortunately this trip ended in A&E as Rose had a allergic reaction to a bite and the pharmacy advised the hospital for antibiotics. The hospital was quite similar to home except the 20min wait just for someone to come to the desk.

La Boca
The Boca area is colourfully decorated houses placed together. Cafes showcased tango shows and could see the Boca Juniors stadium in the distance.

Afternoon walking tour
With Rose's foot swollen and Jane at pole dancing class, Lucille and I headed to the free walking tour. We circled the rich area of Buenos Aires and marvelled at the architecture. We found out how Argentina has become renowned for plastic surgery; most employers organise private health insurance which includes free plastic surgery every 2 years. Maybe somewhere to move to when we're older then! It works out 100 boob jobs are completed daily in Buenos aires. 

Tigre
Tigre is a town an hour out of the city. Almost like a theme park with its consistency in architecture and oversized clocks, we enjoyed a boat ride down the river. We saw how people lived on plotted islands with small piers to jump on and off the boat.

Steak at La Costello
We met up with the Australian boy, Clayton from Paraty at this restaurant. We were handed champagne and nibbles as we waited for our table. I shared a 800g steak with Clayton and it was amazing! Argentinian steak has definitely converted me to be a steak fan. The slab of meat was only made better with a choice of sauces and side dishes.

Tango lesson
As 6 English girls (we made friends with another girl, Fe at the hostel) we went to a tango class at a nearby hostel. Unfortunately no males attended so we got to take it in turns to learn both parts of the dance. I thought I was getting it, even had the instructor say 'very good' but then I tried to dance with the Argentinian bartender and it all went to pots! Toes were tread on and awkward movements everywhere. Maybe I won't consider myself a great tango dancer just yet!

Morning walking tour
After being impressed with the afternoon tour we decided to join the morning tour which focused more on the history of the city and country. We learnt about their pained past discussing the dictatorship that only ended in the 80s. During it 30,000 people went missing and still no answer has been given to what happened. The orphans of the disappeared were illegally adopted via the military and now many of them in their 30s are trying to seek out their biological family. The mothers and grandmothers still circle the May statue outside the government building every Thursday at 3 in protest and for those seeking help.

From buenos aires we now moving onto Mendoza, a city at the far end of the country by the Chilean border, next to the Andes. It is here my old university flatmate, Amanda will be joining us for the next 2 months.  

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb