Puerto Iguazu and the Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
March 11th 2011
Published: March 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After another long bus journey (16hours, 1 good film, 1 terrible and no  food unlike what we were promised; luckily we'd stocked up on crackers and fruit) we arrived in Puerto Iguazu. It is just beyond the border into Argentina and is nearest town to the great Iguazu falls.

The falls were incredible; there are several different trails to walk around the national park. The lower deck allowed you to get close to the falls as they crashed down while the upper deck offered a better view of the whole area. Butterflies were constantly landing on us which just added to the Avatar-like scenery.

For me the best bit was another trail which was across a long boardwalk over the top river. The walk took at least 10mins with a few spots of land until we reached the biggest waterfall we'd seen there. The magnitude was breathtaking and looking across we could see the long stretch of waterfalls continuing for miles.

During our walks we noticed boat trips taking place. One in particular to catch our eye was speed boats driving directly into one of the big waterfalls, disappearing in the mist and emerging drenched. Granted we knew it was a over priced tourist ride which lasted 12mins but hell, it looked fun and we'd been walking all day in excessive heat.
So off Lucille and I went, trying to keep our eyes open as long as possible. The boat rocked like it could capsize as we submerged into the falls. We found ourselves giggling like school girls for most of it and equally trying to avoid water in our eyes and mouth.

In the evening we met up with some boys we'd befriended in Rio; one of which is from Bracknell (small world). We explored the little town and stopped at a nice bar for a few drinks. After which a few of us decided to try the only club in town, a self-proclaimed mega disco! Although it only took an hour or so before we couldn't take any more strange music mixes it was fun to dance around.

The next day we walked to the point where Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay Borders meet. On our return we were enticed to a orchid plantation due to their great marketing "you must see it, no one else can go for you". Turns out it was a small house with a few dying plants... But we did agree, no one would would want to go for us.

As we chilled at our hostel, 2 girls Rose & Lucy, we met in Paraty happened to walk past. We were booking our next hostel and they've organised the same one but arriving a day later. Looking forward to hanging out more then!

It was then time to leave so along with the Rio boys we jumped on a 18 hour bus journey to Buenos Aires. This time we got food and all the films were terrible! Though to be fair 'Kill Speed' with Nick Carter was so bad it was almost good.

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb