Where can you find the Andes? At the end of your arm'es


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
March 23rd 2011
Published: March 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On our first day in Mendoza we dropped off our bags and explored around the city streets and small parks. We swooned over the Harley davidson bikes gathered at a cafe and tried a submarino, which is the argentinean hot chocolate (served as a glass of hot milk, bar of chocolate and a spoon). Before long we were joined by Amanda, who had taken 2 flights and a bus to join us.

We used our first full day to organise the next three, let amanda adapt and walked to the giant park just outside the city. Enjoying a stroll around the lake and stopping for lunch, we soaked in the sun and the European garden designs.

Our first planned excursion was a horse ride at sunset in the Andes. It took some adjusting to feel comfortable and in control with the horse. However soon enough with the dry mountainous landscape, one hand on the saddle, the other hand on the reins, I felt like a true modern-day cowgirl (joined by 27 other tourists). Granted all the cool composure was later lost as I was flung up and down against the gallop when we quickened the pace but this just made it more fun.  The evening was rounded off with a BBQ and bonfire.

Refusing to pay triple the price to take a tour to walk around the Andes, the next day we set off on the bus for 3 hours to the small place, Puerto de Inca. The town was recommended as a starting point for it's ruin site; what we saw was an unimpressive building that looked like a prison in the cove. Never mind. After a haphazard picnic and wonder around an abandoned bus, we braved strong winds to walk up to Aconcagua. According to Amanda this the second biggest mountain in the world. The high altitude and strong winds did cause some shortness in breath (trying to race Jane didn't help either) and heavy heads but it was completely worth the effort! The picturesque scenery was incredible and we all felt very fortunate we could experience it first hand. This was definitely one of my highlights so far. Equally I was impressed how many ways Jane could include the joke about the Andes being at the end of your arm'ies in one day. 

Mendoza is home to 734 wineries therefore not wishing to miss out on local culture we visited 2 wineries (and an olive oil factory) for tours and tastings. The first winery was a modern boutique which offered exclusive wines. While the second was more traditional family-run winery. It was interesting to hear the price differences of buying the wine there at 55 pesos (which is under £10) and sold in US at $300 a bottle. Not being a huge red wine drinker I couldn't really rate the difference in quality however Lucille and Jane assured me most of them were high.

In the evening we joined the hostel's BBQ. The hostel manager is a feeder and our plates were consistently replenished. With my new found love for steak and my ability to clear a plate least 5mins before anyone else i was roped into an eating contest with an Irish fella. I shamefully won. However it was argued this was to bring back the grand slam so I felt proud I could do that. 

6am the next day we started our journey down to Patagonia, south of Chile. Hopefully there we will see wildlife and glaciers. 

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.7kb