Day 3 Catch up Day


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tucumán
December 4th 2012
Published: December 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1009 kilometres. Max speed 111 miles an hour

After the border fiasco we had many miles to catch up to keep on schedule. We woke up to morning traffic and joggers at 6.30 ish, had a quick cupper with Gray's little stove thing, on a park bench and were off by 7.45. Before we could say 'oh look at that' the children had all fallen asleep again.

We kept trucking South, stopping at Metan for breakfast in a bus terminal restaurant. Croissants and orange juice and hot chocolate and coffee. The waiters here seem to have the habit of just listing what is available, instead of handing us a menu and we have to choose something. The accent is different here to what we are used to and so we listen nodding intelligently and just pick out the item we happened to understand!

Then we were off to San Miguel de Tucuman. Not very impressive from the ring road, but then coming from Birmingham, England, we understand that a city should not be judged from the ring road.

The road down towards Cordoba was straight and fast. The temperature climbing all the time. A memorable stop in the middle of nowhere where the road was practically empty and Joe decided to take a picture of Douglas in the middle of the road. He was lining it up so carefully he failed to notice that one of the few cars that were passing was coming towards his back at an alarming speed.....

Fortunately he is still alive. We were all bitten by various insects as we had a quick wee.

We hung a right off the main road and crossed over towards Dean Funes, getting slightly confused with the route. Followed a friendly lorry driver for a while who then told us where to go.

Finally ended up at a hostal in La Cumbre that I had found in the lonely Planet guide. We were not disappointed. It was homely and cosy, had hot showers and firm beds. We ate at 11 and were asleep by 12. Oh what a sleep! Nothing like it after only 3 hours the night before. Andrea


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



7th December 2012

Only in Bolivia...
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your road trip - keep the entries coming! We're very jealous for the most part, though we'll leave the border crossings up to you! Safe travels x

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb