Last of the advancing glaciers


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were picked up early for our tour of Perito Merino glacier. Shock, horror, the tour bus is full of annoying old Americans. We talked to an old couple about where we were going and they proceeded to argue for half an hour about which side of Iguazu falls they saw. Perito Morino is full of tourists and tourist buses, but is also very well set up due to the glacier essentially running into a peninsula before peeling off into the giant Lago Argentino, allowing perfect views from boardwalks that are perfectly constructed for lazy old fat Americans to enjoy views normally constricted to those willing to hike and trek their way to glacier edges. We pass on the optional boat tour which we hear is crap and just stick to the boardwalks for several hours marvelling at the thundering roars of chunks of ice plunging into the lake and mini avalanches that occur regularly. The glacier is very blue with sharp tops carrying dirt which make it look just like a streets vienetta ice cream. After a few hours the tourists get to us and have lunch before heading back.

El Calafate is nearest town to the glacier 80kms away, as the national park is protected - for how long however, our guide was concerned about as there are plans to build a 5 star hotel close by and the Government are well known for taking financial cuts ahead of what is best for the environment. Apparently conservation has always been a big challenge for Argentina and it was Mr Moreno who started the Argentine Parque Nationale back in 1905 which is the reason why things are as good as they are today. We get back and go to Rick’s, a steakhouse, at the recommendation of our guide - a restaurant that does a meat buffet - lamb, steak of different cuts and chicken with a salad bar for the girls. Basically we stuffed ourselves stupid.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb