Perito Moreno Glacier


Advertisement
Published: September 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived just after lunchtime into El Calafate and with time not on our side we decided to visit the Perito Moreno Glacier in the afternoon. After checking into our hostel we realised that we had missed the last tourist bus for the day so we ended up hiring a cab which actually saved us a few pesos. That was until we had to pay the entrance fee...its hard in Patagonia to stop churning through the money but you just to cough it up sometimes and I wasn't going to miss this.

It was freezing cold and windy when we reached the glacier...what an awesome site. We walked around on a few of the viewing platforms to get a different view but whichever way you looked it was still enormous. We didn't take a boat ride, just admired the view from the platforms. We were all frozen after 30 minutes and jumped back into the cab bound for El Calafate.

Its a nice little town on the big lake and after having dinner we were all allured to the bright lights on the downtown casino. Having heard of Joel and Brian's run of luck at the Brisvegas casino the night prior to their departure we tried to continue the lucky streak. This was until the black jack dealer hit a run of around 5 21's in a row. I had never seen anything like it. A few trips to the cash machine were quite amusing but we ended up leaving with our tail between our legs. On a brighter note Brian found his camera after losing it on the previous bus we were on. At least we had one win for the day...oh and we saw one of the best glaciers in the world so whos complaining??






Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb