Glacier-Tastic


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So today was the day we headed to Perito Moreno Glacier and try not to crash the rental car, it was decided yesterday that it would be easier to rent a car between me soren,kjell and aisia and Soren nominated himself as nominated driver. If the car was crashed fault or not it would be 4000 pesos and if it was rolled 8000 pesos, so i really hoped nothing would happen as paying a share of the crash excess would seriously dent my travel budget and mean me missing a place or country out.

So the plan was to get up around 8ish am and well we ended up getting up at 9am although i dozed in out of sleep as sorens alarm kept going off, my stomach was a little better than yesterday and i think it will be on the mend hopefully now i have stopped the malaria tablets and it gets out of my system. So we grabbed breakie and it was half decent for a change and then we booked our onward travel to Chelten, Soren and Kjell will spend a few days there and my plan is to do a day hike to fitz roy and head back to Calafate to get my flight to Buenos Aires.

Aisia was to get her flight to Buneos Aires today and so we would drop her off after seeing the glacier and maybe another site of intrest, after breakie we went to get some lunch supplies down town and then we headed to the glacier, we had frequent photos stops and so it was good we had the car and were not on a tour. We eventually got to the park and paid the 40 pesos entrance and as usual if your local you pay less, locals pay 12 pesos....ughhh.

We then parked up about 11.30am and we went along the various viewing platforms taking pictures and hoping to catch a piece of ice fall off, only kjell was lucky to catch this, me and the others were too slow, we had planned to catch the boat to get closer to the glacier, but we noticed the boat did not get closer than we already were on the platforms and so decided not to waste 40 pesos.

The glacier is the only one in the world that is still gowing at about 2mtrs a day and most others in the world are receding and the width of the glacier is about 4km i belive and it covers 257skm i belive although wikipedia may prove me wrong, it was an awesome sight and we spent about 4 hours there and had a pinic and laughed and joked and then we made our way down a bumpy and gravelly track for 30km to the tranquilty of laco roja and it was vey pieceful there and great views to boot.

Next we headed back to calafate along a very bumpy and rough and dirty track for 40kms back and it was painful for everyones bums and then we headed to the airport to drop Aisia off and we said our goodbyes and we all hugged her and promised we would visit her in Calagary.

When we got back to town me and Kjell went and got food to cook at the hostel and Soren dropped the car off and he had dinner at the hostel, me and kjell had cherry tomato omlettes and then some beer, i then booked my return night at the hostel and paid for my hostel in Buenos Aires so all is in hand.

We then chatted to some gap year girls from the UK and then we got copys of the photos from torres del paine and then we soren and kjell drank some wine and chatted and then i got woken up by the drunk yank onn the top bunk creating loads of noise and then snoring like a howelr monkey or something.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb