2nd email


Advertisement
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just to let you know that we had a wonderful time at the Moreno Glacier today- massive lumps fell as we watched, it was trully amazing- my first glacier! Ady has seen glacierĀ“s before in NZ, but was very impressed with today! We took a boat to near the glacier and walked through the hillside to look down at it. DEF PHOTOS TO FOLLOW!

Slight change of plan, we are going to go to Puerta Natales tomorrow and hire a car and go into the National Park and hopefully see the towers of pain, we do not have time to walk to them unfortunately. We are then going on a boat trip for 3 days and 4 nights which will take us through Patagonian Lakes, fjords and villages, to Puerta Monte. We thought this was nicer to do a 1000 miles instead of a potential 60hr bus ride, this way we half it and have 2 days in a place called Barriloche, which sounds lovely- back in Argentina and then to Mendoza (also Argentina) to sample some wine at the wineries and then Santiago before Lima and Cuzco. Unfortunately we cannot do Inca Trail!! Sold out in the off season!!
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

The piece of glacier wall has fallen into the lake....
We are going to do a 4 day treck to Machu Pichu called the Lares Treck instead. Machu Pichu was the reason for doing the Inca Trail, and this trail is supposedley less touristly.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

2 huge pieces of the glacier emerge from beneath the lake surface....
Peace returnsPeace returns
Peace returns

This all took about 1 minute. The sound of the initial collapse was like thunder, and then there was a lot of wave noise as the waters of the lake moved to accomodate the new ice bergs. You had to be there really!
Looking down from a lakeside hillLooking down from a lakeside hill
Looking down from a lakeside hill

A glimpse of the craggy surface of the glacier - it would take days to move across the surface from one side to the other....
One of the best picnic sites we found...One of the best picnic sites we found...
One of the best picnic sites we found...

Had our lunch here - butties made at the advice of the lady we stayed with in Calafete. Again, the size of the glacier is evident. The small, medium and large collapses sounded like pistol shots, rifle fire and thunder respectively. The sound of the glacier was a surprise, as was the frequency of the collapses.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb