Movin North


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
November 21st 2008
Published: November 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday was a full day of travelling. We got up at 4:30 and left at 5, with one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen. I honestly never actually saw it get fully dark in Ushuaia. Even at about 11 there was still some twilight left from the sun and it was always coming up before 5, but I was only up that early once.

So the day of travel was rather interesting. For most of it the terrain was changing and we saw tons of animals. Hundreds of sheep, chilean flamingos, llamas, ostriches, on the magellan straight we saw one penguin and a bunch of porpoises/dolphins? that were black and white which was cool.

We had to cross in and out of Chile to make the trip, because the bottom of argentina is cut off from the rest, which took forever with customs and border crossings. To get across the Magellan straight you have to take a ferry, which was nice but there are fields of land mines next to the road and on our way across ed saw some go off and they shook the boat which is crazy.

Today we saw Glaciar Perito Moreno, which was amazing, very cold and raining at first but the sun came out and it became much more bearable. I´ve never seen a glacier up close and this one didn´t dissapoint. Huge chunks would break off and fall into the lakes with an enormous crash. I kept taking more and more pictures of pretty much the same thing just because I wanted to make sure I had some good ones of the amazingly bright blue massive ice field.

Tomorrow we go to El Chalten and camp for a night. We will try to do some hiking around Cerro Fitz Roy, which is supposed to be beautiful. Really I can´t expect much less. This is certainly an overwhelmingly beautiful country.

Lo siento Carolyn, hablo muy pequeño castellano. I doesn´t help that ed is glad to speak english for the first time in quite a while. But i definitely have to learn a lot and come back because it makes it much harder for me to interact with local people and learn first hand about their culture.

I´ll see if I can put some pictures up now because this computer has a card slot.

Also unfortunately we won´t be seeing any more penguins than the one we saw at the magellan straight, we didn´t go on any boat tours that go anywhere like that and we won´t really be spending much time other than on a bus near the atlantic coast anymore. oh well

chau


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

crash!crash!
crash!

big chunk of the glacier falling off


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb