A Gem in the Mountains


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » San Luis
March 19th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

View from our deckView from our deckView from our deck

They've managed to put 6 holes into a spot of land between this house, the hotel itself, and a neighboring hotel. It's a tight squeeze.
Geo: -32.35, -65.0333

Why are there no Nortes here? I know, we call ourselves Americans, but isn't that a slap to those of Latin America, who are also Americans. 'Course, they don't call themselves Americans (do they?), but it's still a little arrogant of us, so I prefer to call us what the Paraguayans called Kathleen when she was there in the Peace Corps--Nortes.

So why do our countrymen not come to Merlo? Shopkeepers tell us they almost never see anyone from the United States here.

It's knock your socks off beautiful in the most laid back, relaxing way possible. When you're not jumping off cliffs with a kite strapped to your back you can go 4x4ing or trekking or even throw your money away at the casino. This place has everything except smog, pollution and English.

There are no services in English: tours, desk clerks, taxi drivers, literature, maps--nothing in English.

So....pick up a Spanish dictionary and get here. You won't regret it. Find out what all of Buenos Aires already knows--this place is special. It seems the whole capital empties out in the summer and gathers here in these quaint little central Sierra villages. Merlo, Mina Clavero, Villa Delores, La Cumbre--they're precious pueblos not
Look CloselyLook CloselyLook Closely

On the left find tee box for hole 5--your shot goes over the tee box for hole 3, over the fountain, over a tree and onto the green. For hole 3 you shoot over the green for hole 4. For hole 4 you just try not to hit the swimming pool.
often visited by outsiders--maybe because they're harder to get to and harder to talk to.

You don't go to Merlo by mistake. Or any of the others. Most people go to Cordoba and switch buses there.

You can come to Argentina to the more advertised spots--Iguazu Falls, El Calafate, Buenos Aires, Bariloche, Mendoza--and never have to know a word of Spanish. But if you want to come away feeling like you've learned something of the real Argentina, you need to see these places too. They're all extraordinary--every one in their own way, and each very unique. But it would be a shame to see only the highlights and miss the hidden gems.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Easy Par...Easy Par...
Easy Par...

or a potential hole in one.
Our hotel  from hole 3Our hotel  from hole 3
Our hotel from hole 3

This is a very nice hotel. It's lovely, comfortable and very accommodating. There's a ton of folks constantly cleaning too, and they are patiently helpful when your Spanish is crappy. It's a bit more expensive than what we're used to, but we needed a splurge.
Argentine breakfastArgentine breakfast
Argentine breakfast

I don't think we've had a breakfast anywhere in our three years of coming here that hasn't included a medialuna and cookies.
Drugstore--Argentine styleDrugstore--Argentine style
Drugstore--Argentine style

It says drugstore IN ENGLISH, but it isn't. Not like our drugstores, anyway. This one is a really nice quality gift shop. It has the kinds of things you buy just because you have to have them in your possession. You decide later who to give them to (if you give them away at all).
Giorgio's--wonderful foodGiorgio's--wonderful food
Giorgio's--wonderful food

I wish we'd have discovered Giorgio's sooner. I'd have eaten here every day.
Bottle Brush after a rainBottle Brush after a rain
Bottle Brush after a rain

What is it really? Don't know, but it's showy and looks great after a rain.


26th March 2010

It sure looked lush and colorful. Have a great time.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb