Birthplace of the Argentine Flag--or is it?


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Fe » Rosario
March 22nd 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sidewalk CafesSidewalk CafesSidewalk Cafes

I'm really going to miss these beautiful sidewalk cafes. Sitting here for a drink or a sandwich is a most enjoyable way to spend an hour or so. And they never care how long you stay.
Geo: -32.95, -60.6667

Rosario hugs the banks of the winding Parana river four hours north of Buenos Aires. The same Parana that forms Iguazu Falls on the Argentine/Brazilian border another 1,041 km up river.

Perhaps Rosario's greatest claim to fame comes from it's being the birthplace of the Argentine flag. It makes this claim and even has a gigantic memorial in commemoration, but quiet Entre Rios on the other side of the river says that since the flag was born on an island in the Parana--which islands belong to Entre Rios--the monument and all the whoopla should be theirs.

Oh well. It's here now.

We spent our one day there walking and shopping and enjoying the beautiful sunshine. As unique as the city is, it was the hostel that Rosario will be remembered by. Punto Clave is run by the cutest boys you'll find in all of Argentina, and a couple of really cute girls too. They're not used to having old folks stay and spoiled us to death. They wouldn't even let us carry our bags up the stairs--they hauled them up and when it was time for us to leave they ran up and brought them back down.

It's full of Daniel's artistic touches, too--like the zebra wall in the salon and the bright blue waves interspersed with geometrics made of broken glass in the kitchen.

Anytime you stay at a hostel though, you fore go certain comforts. We had to rent towels, had no blankets at all and the door to our room lacked a lock. There was a latch to keep it from standing open, but there was no way to lock the thing. So we put the computer in lock up when we left, brought the camera with us and figured anyone was welcome to the rest.

Sleeping was an adventure, though. You know when you go camping and it's really cold so you pull all your clothes out of your pack and lay them carefully over you to keep warm? It was kind of like that. Okay until you roll over and your "blankets" slip off.

But the kids were delightful and made the place a real high point on our trip.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ice Cream ShopIce Cream Shop
Ice Cream Shop

Ice cream is big business here
Monument of the FlagMonument of the Flag
Monument of the Flag

Argentinos love their flag
Malvinas Always for ArgentinaMalvinas Always for Argentina
Malvinas Always for Argentina

Remember the Malvinas war? Argentina's military dictatorship declared war on Britain in 1982. They lost. From the Chronicle of the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) History & the Falklands War of 1982: "Argentina's defeat in the war severely discredited the military dictatorship who started the war, and led to the restoration of democratic, civilian rule in Argentina in 1983."
Monument for Heroes Monument for Heroes
Monument for Heroes

The Falklands war lasted 74 days and claimed fewer than 1,000 lives, but had great impact in both countries. Argentina's defeat helped overthrow the military dictatorship and England's win helped cement Margaret Thatcher's popularity.
School of Urban ArtSchool of Urban Art
School of Urban Art

Don't you love how the words mimic the roofline?
Salon de FiestasSalon de Fiestas
Salon de Fiestas

Rent this for your next party
Our CornerOur Corner
Our Corner

Pelligrini's the main street. We walk down it to Ayacucho and turn right.
Slums outside RosarioSlums outside Rosario
Slums outside Rosario

They could be in any big city, anywhere. But they're here outside of Rosario, right along the highway.


24th March 2010

Yeah!! Yo Soy Quiropractico! tu eres sublaxacion?
25th March 2010

Tengo una necessitar enorme para un quiropractico! Sabes donde esta uno?
26th March 2010

The best of both in the town.
4th December 2010

odioso, desagradable...but to me it means someone who is so uncomfortable to be around they drive you crazy. Good question!

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb