Final trip; Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
August 1st 2009
Published: August 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

921921921

The Devils Throat
After leaving Salta we arrived 23 hours later in Iguazu Falls. Larger than Niagra and situated on the Argentina/Brazil border. It was spectacular. As we woke late and didn't arrive at the falls until lunch time we were worried about getting around the whole thing, so headed to the main attraction first, the Devils Throat. We couldn't believe ours eyes! Just so so much water! Actually made you quite dizzy to look at. There are over 200 falls in total and about 10 lookout points. The buzz of seeing the amazing power of these things coupled with the relief of being able to actually breath probably again (no altitude) we power-walked around the whole site and managed to get to them all, took lots of photos and even had time for the nautical adventurer boat trip. This was basically a high powered boat that they fill full of tourists and drive straight into a waterfall. Once you think you are about to drown they pull you back out again. Exhilarating, but for a 10 minute thrill its expensive, hardly surprising for Argentina.
We chilled out in the hostel for a few more days, playing pool and chilling out. To our delight the hostel also had an all you can eat Arg BBQ. We took this as a challenge. But after 2 plates of salad, 7 steaks, sausage and a breast of chicken we had to ask the waiter not to come back ot the table. That was followed by a brazillian show, which was very entertaining if not bordering on pronographic. Great night though.
Finally it was time for our last over night bus in South America to Buenos Aires. We booked into a 'party hostel' determined that this time round BA would be more fun. And it was. The hostel the new millhouse was not by any means wild or fun or what I would call a party hostel but it was easy to meet people there and we hooked up with a good gang.
We figured as it was our last few night in BA we might as well just get as many steaks as possible in. The last night we went to a famous restaurant in BA. If you dont have a reservation you have to queue outside for maybe an hour or more, but you do get some food and free drink while you do wait. Once you get in everything on the menu is in giant portions. So we ordered about 4 or 5 kilo of steak between 7 of us and tucked in. Meat sweats again, but very statisfied. It was expensive but by Irish standards, for nothing really.
Buenos Aires was a completely different city for us this time. It was very beautiful that hasn't changed but we really seen the fun side of it, just a little too late unfortunately. I'm sure we'll be back at some point though.

Our trip lasted 161 days, covered 6 countries, visiting 57 places, using 2 boats, 5 flights, 2 minivans, 2 landcruisers, and almost 50 buses! I'm still trying to work out how many kilometres we covered..but thats taking a while.

I am actually writing this from Conors couch in Sydney. It is surreal to be back here...like we never left. But this is a little sad as we have just found out our visa is going to be delayed for over a year more. We have another option which we will speak to immigration on Monday about. So fingers crossed.
We are still suffering from jet lag a little so plan to do some site seeing and getting out and about next week.

Xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

950950
950

The 88 butterfly
986986
986

Finally we got a blue sky
989989
989

Us being driven inot a giant waterfall


16th August 2009

Wow!
Waterfall looks amazing! Love the 88 butterfly and the anteater (I think that's what he is). Fair play to all of your trip documentation. 50 buses?! Hope you have some luck with immigration tomorrow. 3 weeks and coutnign for the electric picnic, so am really looking forward to that. Will be heading off next weekend to Sligo or Bundoran or somewhere for a camping/surfing weekend with my nephew Luke. Actually will ya ask Con where would be best to go for such a wee jaunt? Maybe it depends on where the best waves are? Anything over a tiny ripple will probably do us novices : ) Take carer and look forward to hearing how your next phase of your adventures go. Love, Gar
29th August 2009

Hello from BA
Hey guys, Its Fiona here that ye met in Iguazu! I see ye are back in Sydney! Thats mad feels like only the other day we met ye! Darlene I completely forgot to tell you that that Dutch guy that used your camera to take pictures of the brazilian dancers gave me his email to give to you tosend him the photos! Very complicated altogether! Sorry, hope ye are having a good time, hopefully we will see ye somewhere along the way again! oh the guys email is, onzeberg@hotmail.com Talk soon, Fi

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb