The mugging of Mendoza


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
October 14th 2005
Published: October 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Saying goodbye!Saying goodbye!Saying goodbye!

Boo Hoo!!!!
10.10.05 We left San Augustin today, the 3 guys, Luchio, Chris and Marcos were as gutted as we were when we left. We all had a photo taken together and they stood outside and waved us off. We were sad. We got a bus to San Juan and then another bus to Mendoza, near the Andes and 6 hrs. from Chile. Mendoza is a nice city with lots of plazas and tree lined streets, quite pretty. It´s known for the wine that is made there. On the journey there we passed lots of vinyards. We arrived at our hostel about 9pm, our room is a little box with 3 beds and no window! This confused us in the morning when we woke up it was dark and we had no idea what time of day it was.

11.10.05 Today we had a walk around the city to see some of the plazas. They have nice fountains, trees and statues. In the evening we walked around Plaza Independencia where they have a few stalls and entertainers.

12.10.05 Today we went to San Martin Park. Before this we had the most memorable moment of Mendoza. ANDY GOT MUGGED!!! Don´t worry it´s all good.
Melissa went back to the hostel for 5 mins and Andy sat on a bench in the main plaza (Indepencia plaza) with his bag (our packed lunch) next to him. A guy came and sat next to him and started to show him some leaflets (this is normal here, always trying to sell you something) so Andy was looking at them. A couple of seconds later it dawned on him what people do, they distract you whilst someone nicks your stuff! He turned round, no bag! Turned round even further to see a guy walking behind a tree with his bag, our lunch!! He jumped off, chased after him and snatched it back off him! There was no way he was having our ham and cheese sandwiches!! After this they both went off with their tails between their legs. ENGLAND 1 ARGENTINA 0.
We then got on a bus to San Martin Park. This park is very pretty and big. Lots of rose gardens, palm trees, lake, statues. The main gates were made in Scotland. We had our lunch by the lake in the sun. Next we got a mini bus tour (in spanish) to the top of The Hill of Glory which overlooks the city. Yes this also contains another statue! We know the history of it but we shaln´t bore you! (or we can´t remember what we read). From half way up you could see the snow lined Andes.
In the hostel it was dvd night so after another well cooked meal by Andy we watched The Island, it was good.

13.10.05 On our way out this morning we bumped into the group of 4 who we first met in Rio and again in Ilha Grande and again in Florianopolis! We arranged to meet up that evening.
Today we were going to see some ruins and book our ticket to Santiago, Chile.
After an hour of walking we found the ruins (a church destroyed in an earthquake in 1800´s)! What a let down! They were covered in scaffold you could hardly see what they were holding up! So we spent all of 5 mins there. From there we went another hour to the bus stop and booked our ticket for the next day.
In the afternoon we chilled in the plaza with our books, like we had done most afternoons. Andy has finished his first book in years!! WELL DONE HIM!

That evening we met up with the group, Porchs, Charlotte, Ed and Rich and 5 of their friends. We went to an all you can eat restauant that had been recommended to us. It costs 3 pounds!
Well this was the best restaurant ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! La s Tientas. I would fly here just to go there again! We have never seen so much food and choice! I had to take photos! There was salad, a massive bbq grill with loads of meat, like chinese food, sea food, pizza, potatos, chips, stew stuff it was endless! And the same for desert. After there we went o an Irish bar (expensive) played a few drinking games, then Andy and I went because we wanted to go round the market on our last night. But it had finished!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 33; qc: 141; dbt: 0.1442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb