The world of wine on a bike!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
October 30th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

OLA

We are now in Mendoza folks and today we are both suffering from sore bottoms! We did a wine tour on bikes yesterday. We cycled about 17 miles in 37 degrees (in the shade) with lots of tastings inbetween. So im feeling rather precious but what a day , it was magnificent!
Summer has come early in Mendoza it usually peaks at about 40 degrees in high summer but today the temp is about 41 degrees so it is very hot in the city. After some lunch we are heading to the park to the outdoor pool to laze about.

So I will set the scene for you.......we are in one of the best wine regions in the world, cyling along in the hazy heat with miles of vineyards and the snow capped Andes in the distance with bit of a head on as we have just been to a fantastic modern winery called Tempus Alba and Hector a friend we have met along the way has just splashed out on another glass of the top vino tinto and some lunch for us, must be the scottish charm or something!

We went to three vineyards, (you pay about 15- 25 pesos for your little tour and 2 or 3 glasses of wine) a museum of wine and a olive oil factory. It was great craic and really interesting to see how it all works.

Then we managed to take a wrong turn or maybe we forgot to take a turn?

Richard was cheif navigator leading the way while I was at the rear.... after 2 or 3 miles I thought to myself this doesnt feel right. Alot to the time your cyling along very bumpy roads with potholes and big ass lorries zooming past you, then you turn off on the the lovely plain tree lined country road ( these bikes have no suspension hence the sore bum.) I shouted to Hector ´mate i think we are going the wrong way´he replies´No chance how could we be...its staraight roads´ ..... 'yeah but I think...´Nah no chance´By this time Mr chief navigator has got some kind of energy spurt and is hooring it down the road with a dust trail behind him so on we go for a few more miles.

Eventually about 5 miles down the road he comes to a stop, remember it is 37 degrees in the shade and we are not in the shade and we are cycling and we have bascically for the last month been wandering around having the occasional beer of vino so we are not feeling our fitess!
So Ricardo has realised through the wine fog that we haven´t past much traffic- no bigass lorries have been flying past us so yah think we´re on the wrong road. After a fit of the giggles and a litre of water we head back in the right direction.

Back to Mr Hugos the bike man - he is a legend in Mendoza, when you drop off your bikes he likes to keep the wine flowing. Mr Hugos wine is very warm, almost fizzy and after some of the stuff we have tasted not really what you want... really no Mr Hugo I dont want any more wine...now thats a first. We are done. Back on the bus to hostel make a bit of pasta and collapse in our lovely tiny little single beds....


Before we got here we were back in BA for 2 days. We met Lorna Simpson and went for a tango night, had a lesson some dinner the watched the show. We´re now tango experts and will show you some of our moves when we get home! The next night we went to see some live outdoor music called 'La Bomba', a percussion orchestra, they has a huge following, fantastic big south american beats with everyone dancing away, after that we went to a club and heard a great band I would compare them to Beuno vista social club but about 25 years younger, one of the highlights so far.

Chua for now amigos!

XXXX


Advertisement



31st October 2009

strictly Dicky & Toots!
looking forward to a performance when you get back. I'm back home now and am sure i can squeeze in a couple of south american phonecalls while i'm here....he he he! Give me a buzz. At Myrton. Whats next in store for you pups? xxx
31st October 2009

Hello Judy and Richard, kim has set up your Blog for us. You are having a great time in S.America -at least bikes are economical to run !Money seems to be coming out of your account -H.B.O.S. charge you £1-50 for each cash withdrawl. Are you using your Credit Card ? Keep sending your stories. Love Dad and Rose. xxx.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb