Puerto Madryn


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
September 9th 2008
Published: August 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our couple of days relaxing in Bariloche and as we hadn't the time to make it south to Patagonia and back we decided that we would take a trip to Puerto Madryn to go Whale watching. As with most trips in South America, it would be a overnight bus there and back with one night stay in Puerto Madryn.

We arrived after a nice bus journey early in the morning, having already booked out hostel we got a taxi to it. This hostel was basically a big house but it was very well run, had some of the best beds and was also lovely and warm. The staff we excellent and it was really nice place to stay, unfortunately we cannot remember the name of it. But we did book a whale watching trip from them for the next morning.

Puerto Madryn is a really nice town, originally founded by welsh miners back in the mid 1800. It has a very nice long beach, nice people, shops and restaurants. We spent the day walking on the beach and enjoying this quite sea side town. From the shore whales can be seen breaching , also we did think we seen some Orca's which are known to come here when the seal pups are born.

We were up early the next morning so as to be ready to be picked up for our day out whale watching.
We were driven to a beach in Puerto PirĂ¡mides where would we get the boat out to go Whale watching.
Our only instruction on the boat was not to rush to one side as we could overturn the boat.
So Southern Right Whales, called this because they were the right whales to hunt mainly due to there very inquisitive nature. The whales have a curved body and no dorsal fin. The males reach 12 meters of length, whereas adult females may measure from 13 to 16 meters. Adult specimens can weigh between 30 and 40 tons.
This was a amazing part of your trip, one of the highlights, the whales are huge much bigger than our boat. Everywhere we looked they were there and we got some great shots of them.

After this we were brought ashore and had lunch in a very nice place beside the sea. We spent the afternoon going around parts of the national park where we
ClaireClaireClaire

All dressed up.
went to see sea lions and their pups and also some penguins, while a little early for penguins there was one there to see us.

Overall a very nice stop and we would recommend Puerto Madryn to all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Whale TailWhale Tail
Whale Tail

Southern Right Whale
PODPOD
POD

Lot of Whales
More tailMore tail
More tail

They grow up to 18MTS long


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb