My first mugging!!!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 20th 2005
Published: August 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

this weeks been pretty shit with people leaving, Katy and Kaushal left, as well as Alice and Sarah. New girl Jodie arrived, shes a proper adult tho, 26 and a history teacher. We went out for Pauls last night at a lovely little traditional Argentine restaurant. Its one of those places that looks a bit dodgy from the outside, but when we got in, it was jam packed, not a tourist in sight, with the best steak ive ever eaten! Treated ourselves to their best wine - only for about 5 quid, but it would cost 5 times that in the uk. Got ever so slightly merry, me and Jo came home, decided to wake Chris up and dance on the tables in the hostel. Little Pabs was following us round looking very worried, but gave in to fact that drunken, singing British girls are not a force to be reckoned with.

Wednesday was pretty quiet, watched dvds and wallowed in a general state of moodiness at all the departures. Thursday i had a crap day at the office, i was taking 7ths in school, and one girl was acting up so much, not sitting still, talking in Spanish, refusing to take any of it seriously. I got so pissed off with her i just sat there glaring and telling her if she did that in the exam she'd fail. The fear of god had no effect whatsoever. It was a relief to come home and set off again for my next placement, teaching an 18 year old called Maria. She's such a lovely, quiet girl, eager to learn. She always presents me with tea and biscuits on arrival. Now u all know i dont drink tea, so i'd like a round of applause please for learning to drink it without pulling a face. On the bus ride there we were crammed in like sardines, i noticed a sign saying maximum occupancy was 28 sitting - i looked around at the 70 fellow passengers and had to smile. I was practically sitting on the drivers lap. On the way back it was no better. I was holding onto a bar next to this man in such a way i was half hugging him. the bus jolted and i ended up genuinely hugging him, unable to pull myself off. I was in hysterics as i got off the bus, but he didnt seem to find it remotely amusing.

Thursday night we tried cooking macaroni cheese, but it ended up pink. We opened some bottles of wine, and then me Jamie, James and Chris fancied a bit of a boogie so we went out about 2am and ended up in a club called Sahara, good music, extremely generous with the vodka. Me and James got a bit worried about Chris' tolerance levels as he tasted the drink that had made us gag and declared he thought it just tasted of sprite. Got home about 5.
Yesterday i didnt have anything till Querubines, so watched tv and nursed the hangover.
Got home and i made spag bol, then me Rosie and Chris went to see Sin City at the cinema. Got there and it was sold out. The next performance wasnt til 1.40, so we decided to see Charlie and the chocolate factory, slightly earlier at ten to 1. the others hadnt seen it yet and i was happy to see it again. We went for a wander, trying to find a bar we could sit in for an hour. We had just been checking out the menu at a little restaurant and were still on the same street as the cinema, when a man approached Chris and started saying 'give me your wallet' over and over again. He had his hand in his pocket, as if he had a weapon, but his jeans were so tight i could see there wasnt anything there. We all stood there, a bit bewildered, then i got angry and said 'no', told Chris i'd go back to the restaurant for help. I kinda shoved the bloke away from him as i said it, and with that, he backed off and walked away. He was just a chancer, and he looked pretty nervous. Still, we decided we definitely needed a drink after that. We sat down at a place and the woman asked us for documents. We were so confused, asking why on earth we needed documents to have a drink. Then it dawned on us she was asking for ID. Rosies only 17, so we had to leave. We wandered the streets for a bit, but the area we were in was more of a shopping street. We gave up and sat down in an ice cream parlour. So it was an expedition plagued with bad luck. After all that, Chris bloody slept through most of the film. We got home about 3am for a well deserved sleep. Today i think we're gonna try and do some sightseeing here in BA, need to book hostel and bus up to Iguazu next weekend as well. Tonight we're going clubbing, then tomorrow i think me and Jo might go to the world championship tango final. Better go, need to go get some laundry done. The smell is getting beyond a joke.


Advertisement



21st August 2005

oi oi
Just to let you know that I do actually check this and read your diary entries every so often! Don't run out of money otherwise you'll be the one doing the mugging and I don't reckon you'ld be very good at it hehe!
28th August 2005

I can imagine angry little you giving him a shove!
So, do I reply on this or email? Dont know, but I am allowed to call you "little" because TECHNICALLY you are taller than me, so its ok. It sounds like you are playing around too much, and not working hard enough! Seriously though, glad to hear you are having an awesome alcohol and ice cream based adventure, and also glad to hear you are protecting the boys! Take care of yourself Smith. xxx

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb