You know when you've been Tangoed.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 22nd 2005
Published: August 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

drowned ratsdrowned ratsdrowned rats

us back at the flooded hostel having had a nice swim home from tango!
Just thought id write and tell u all about my weekend, funny as it was. Saturday was the usual debacle, so most of sunday was a write off. We got in from the club at about 6am, then had to drag ourselves out of bed at 9 to go queue for a couple of hours for the free tickets for the Tango. I worked out that i had been awake for pretty much 24 hours. Went back to bed and got up again about half 2. We all lazed around in our pyjamas feeling shit till 7, then decided we really needed to get our arses in gear if we were gonna make the show. Went and had a burger in a little cafe place, then joined the block long queue to get in. The place was pretty big, and me and Chris thought it distinctly smelled of wee, but we tried to ignore it as the show kicked off. There were three rounds, each with about 6 or 7 couples in, mainly from Argentina, Colombia, Japan and Australia. There were some Colombian fans infront of us who frantically waved the Colombian flag at any mention of the country.

The
TangoTangoTango

World Championship Tango Final!!!
dancing, needless to say, was incredible. Some of the footwork was so fast it was a blur, and the passion was so sexy. We loved it, and all of us were of course instant Tango connoisseurs. We all said stuff like 'well, yes, the first Japonese couple were good on the technical side, but there was no passion'. The acts in between the rounds were brilliant too, most of it was hip hop breakdancing, but of course it was some of the best in the world, so we all ooohed and aaahed and were in general awe. Five couples ended up with the same points, so they had to dance again. Eventually all the couples came back on stage, got handed bouquets and they announced the top 3. A Buenos Aires couple won, and we were all really surprised no Colombians had even made it into the top 5, they were all really good.

We left pretty smartish, knowing there'd be all out war for taxis. When we got outside, there wasnt a taxi in sight, and it was raining like u wouldnt believe. Tropical rainforest raining, complete with thunder and lightening. Chris and Lisa pegged it because they
Little Pabs Little Pabs Little Pabs

Look at that lake!
had relatively sensible shoes on, whilst me, Rosie, Jo and Jodie traipsed as quick as we could, within about 2 minutes we were soaked through to the bone, my general soddenness was similar to the state i was in after my last exam. We half heartedly joked that Pablo would make us stand in the rain before answering the door. Irony of ironies, we all gathered around the door, standing there for 10 minutes, ringing the buzzer and shouting through the keyhole. When he eventually woke up, he acted like nothing was wrong, and was surprised to see us soaking. We gratefully squelched in, only to find the dining area was now a lake. Genuinely. One of the drains had become blocked, and water was bubbling up at such a rate - Pabs tried in vain to sweep the water away, but it was like trying to sweep away the ocean. Whatever water he managed to get down one of the other drains was replaced immediately. We all sat down, dripping wet, and did what the British do in an emergency - had a nice cup of tea.
It was all so farcical, we had to laugh. Pabs had to call Gary and he came over with a fire extinguisher. I didnt have a clue wot he was going to do, but he's a clever egg, and he used it to pressure blast down the drain to clear the blockage. Water gone, floor still sodden, we all slipped and slided our way to bed. So todays the start of a new week, with diet starting and drink to be avoided, and going to Iguazu in a few days!!! Will let u know how it goes.

Advertisement



24th August 2005

Dunno if you'll be interested, but letting you know that it looks like Michael Owen is going to play for Newcastle on a year loan from Madrid...
27th August 2005

tango, yey!
Hey Smithers! Great to hear you're still having an incredible time. Obviously, I am so jealous that you got to go to a real Tango competition ... hee hee, it sounds amazing. I am currently the only Mackem working in Newcastle's Northern Rock (well, it feels like that anyways) so I am toughening up due to the daily abuse I get from my colleagues. Honestly, the shame to think that I now work in geordieland (the only benefit being that I will get to meet the Falcons this year .... hellloooo Johnny Wilkinson!!! ha ha). Take care sweetie, love Mack xxx
30th August 2005

Aye, you've got Owen for a 4-year deal!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb