Argentina - Day 5


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
October 31st 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, we began by walking to the subway. It was a cool windy day and we had not yet been on Argentina’s finest. We headed for the Congress building. We next headed to the Federal Court building. On the way, we passed another beautiful old magnolia tree guarded by a rooster.

The Federal Court building was featured prominently in the movie “The secret in Their Eyes” (El Secreto de Sus Ojos) the 2009 Academy Award winner for best foreign film. A very well crafted movie although the movie is about a brutal rape/murder & is very graphic for the first few minutes. Below is a link to information on the movie.

El Secreto de Sus Ojos

We next continued our walk toward The Pink House. The Pink House is no longer the residence of the President of Argentina but is still used for ceremonial purposes. Most recently, former President Nestor Kirchner’s casket layed in state here. We were fortunate that it was open for tours so we toured!

We ended our day at a Costume party at Trey & Andrew’s friend’s apartment. Webb has a really nice place and had invited them (& us) to attend. As an interested aside, Webb is from Boston originally, but his daughter attended Baylor University (sic em Bears). As a lot of you may know, our youngest son Joe also attended Baylor although a number of years later than Webb’s daughter. (does 30 to 22 mean anything to anyone?) More tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

the Federal Court buildingthe Federal Court building
the Federal Court building

This building was the setting for most of the movie "The Secret in Their Eyes" (El Secreto de Sus Ojos), the recipient of the Academy Award for best foreign film in 2009.
The Pink HouseThe Pink House
The Pink House

The Pink House was open for tours so tour we did!
one of the Pink House Balconiesone of the Pink House Balconies
one of the Pink House Balconies

We were standing on the balcony where Eva Peron would make her speeches from. I was unable to attract as many supporters!


1st November 2010

Trick or Treat!
We missed you at our small group this afternoon. Looks like you're have a great time. Loved the Magnolia tree and the fountain -- and all your photos. Pizza in Agentina???
1st November 2010

Magnolia Tree
Your daily log and pictures are great. I love the picture of the Magnolia tree. Do all of their Magnolia trees have exposed roots like that? Sounds like y'all are taking it all in....great trip!
2nd November 2010

Who or what is Webb's rooftop?

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb