Buenos Aires-Day 2 (9-25-09)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

still not awake
When Hayley and I went to bed, we weren´t sure if our clocks were right since the time had changed. Turns our they were wrong. Good thing Alison knocked on our door a little after 8 to see if we were up. Our tour bus was going to pick us up at 9 am. We got up quick and got ready. We went downstairs to get breakfast around 8:30. Breakfast was included free in our package. We could get tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. To eat there was a big tray of bread (toast and crescent rolls with jelly and butter). I got tea and ate my bread.
The bus was there before we knew it. It was just a little white bus. There were other people already on it. We wanted to sit near windows so we could see. They kept picking people up so we ended up all 4 sitting in the back. I sat by a window though. I kept opening the window because I was warm. Catie was sticking her hand out he window and taking pictures. We drove around the city looking at all the pretty buildings. The tour guy took pictures of us and we
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

still not awake
weren´t really sure why. Later, at the end of the tour he had cropped all our faces into pictures of tango dancers and soccer players but he wanted us to buy them. We didn´t of course but we took pictures of the pictures.
We mostly drove around on the tour but we stopped a few places. The first place we stopped was the Cathedral but only for 10 minutes. It was so hard to see everything since the church is so big. I only made it down one side. There was a room with guards but I wasn´t sure why. We ended up going back the next day because I really wanted to know. The cathedral is close to the pink house. The pink house would be like the white house. The president of Argentina lives there. Interesting note, the president of Argentina is also a woman.
We boarded the bus again and kept on moving. While we were driving, the driver hit his brakes once and the whole back seat that we were sitting in flipped up. We all just kind of looked at each other and laughed. When he let off the brakes the seat went back to
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

big building?
normal and locked into place. No one else saw what happened and just looked at us like we were crazy because we were laughing a lot.
The second stop was the Boca Juniors Soccer stadium. We got off the bus and decided to go buy postcards and look at soccer jerseys. Alison and I decided to go into the stadium. It cost 15 pesos ($4). It was pretty neat. There were spikes on top of the glass to keep people from trying to climb over and onto the field. All the buildings around the stadium were painted the team colors and there were lots of soccer murals.
We got back on the bus and went to the Boca. The Boca is a neighborhood close to the stadium. The people are pretty poor there but the houses are painted crazy colors and there are lots of stores and people selling things. People dance tango in the street and their is lots of other entertainment there. A group of kids were playing soccer near there. We browsed the shops down the street. I bought two coconut rings for 5 pesos total.
We boarded the bus again. We had the option to get
Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Argentina flag
dropped off at the recoleta but we were pretty tired so we wanted to go back to our hotel. It was about 12:30 by the time we got dropped off. We decided that we wanted to go to a theater show so we decided to walk to find where to buy the tickets. We weren´t really sure where to go so that took a while. We finally found the street with the theaters. Phantom of the Opera was playing and after some debate we chose to go to that one. The Sunday matinee was sold out so we got tickets for that night. we bought the cheapest ones. The were 80 pesos ($20) but there was a deal, 4 tickets for the price of 3 so we each only had to pay 60 pesos ($15). Once we had our tickets we went back to the hotel to shower and get ready. We wanted to go out to dinner before the show. The show wasn´t until 8:30.
We left the hotel around 5:30. Once again we weren´t really sure where we wanted to go but we wanted to see a tango. We walked for a long time trying to find a
Photo 7Photo 7Photo 7

pink house
place that someone had told us about. We ended up asking someone else and going to a Cafe called Cafe Tortoni. It was pretty fancy looking. The waiters were in suits with shiny trays and towels on their arms. I ordered a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and tea. We also got cheese and wine before since we were hungry! The food was delicious. After we decided to get apple pie with ice cream too! yum! There were a lot of tourists in the cafe. We met two women from Ireland who wanted us to take their picture.
As we were getting ready to leave, a waitress asked us if we wanted to see a tango but we needed to get to the theater. We walked to the theater. On the way there we just happen to walk up on a student protest. There was a whole intersection blocked off. I thought we left all that in Chile but I guess not. They had some fires going. Kind of weird for a Friday night but I guess that is normal here. We were pretty early getting to the theater. We got there around 8 pm but we went in anyways.
Photo 8Photo 8Photo 8

the families of the desparecidos that protest every day
There were people selling binoculars outside but I hoped we wouldn´t need them. I bought a Phantom of the Opera poster for 40 pesos ($10). Our seats were very high up. We had to tip the usher to get a program but we didn´t really know how much to give him so we only gave him 2 pesos ($.50) which was probably not enough but we got them!
Finally the show started. We weren´t supposed to take pictures but of course we took them anyways. The show was supposed to last around 3 hours. The theater wasn´t very full at all. There was an intermission and after that we moved down a bunch of rows since nobody was sitting there. We could have went to much closer but we were kind of scared to get yelled at since we weren´t sure if that was okay. The sides of the theater were really empty though.We asked a lady to take our picture during the intermission but they didn´t turn out very well. My flash on my camera accidentally went off once during second act. That didn´t make me very happy but I didn´t get kicked out or anything. I wasn´t the
Photo 9Photo 9Photo 9

sign in the cathedral
first person to do it that night. I quit taking pictures after that. The show was really good though. Since I know the story, it didn´t really matter that it was in Spanish. I really enjoyed it!
The show ended around 11:30. We walked back to the hotel quickly. It wasn´t too far and there were lots of people around on a Friday night. When we got back to the hotel we ended up sitting in our room, looking at pictures on Hayley´s computer instead of going to bed like we should have. We wanted to get up and go sight seeing in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

ceiling of the church
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

guards
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

showing off my tour sticker
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

the cathedral from a distance
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

building near the stadium
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

the goalies put their hands on the walk of fame and the soccer players put their feet
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Boca Juniors Stadium
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

the spikes
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

random shoes on an electric line
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

kids playing soccer
Photo 22Photo 22
Photo 22

the Boca
Photo 23Photo 23
Photo 23

cool building
Photo 24Photo 24
Photo 24

one of the pictures the tour guy tried to sell us


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb