2nd Full Day in Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
August 25th 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Girls in BAThe Girls in BAThe Girls in BA

First day in our new cute little apartment. Cheers
This city is fabulous. We are staying in San Telmo in a nice apartment on Peru and Chile. We've seem to have done quite a bit of shopping already and we have only been here two days. There are amazing street markets on the weekends. We haven't even gone into any of the shops yet.

We walk to the first street market yesterday in Recoleta. Even though we got a really late start having woken up at 1pm Saturday (a bit of jet lag from not sleeping for 3 days) we walk down Peru street through tons of main stream shops, then cut across the Retrio and up Avenida Del Libertador (where there was some amazing metal sculptures (large ants climbing a pole and a pretty cool alligators). The Recoleta street fair was quite large with many different types of art work; jewelry, clothing, mate gourds, leather goods. Lots of fabulous stalls with smiling friendly faces. It kind of reminded me of Berkeley street fairs. The fair is right next to the famous Cementerio La Recoleta. We will eventually make it to that sight seeing experience, but there is just too much shopping to do on the weekends.

Today
Yeh PaulieYeh PaulieYeh Paulie

I missed smiling with Paulie.
(Sunday) we hung out in our neighborhood of San Telmo and enjoy the festivities just a few blocks away on Defensa Street. Lots of street vendors and street artist. Puppeteers, live statue artist, live music every where and all kinds of tango dancing by professionals and just random folks. Some similar vending to the day before but they also have antique vendors at the Plaza Dorrego. San Telmo has an amazing amount of antique shops. It was fantastic just to spend time looking at all the old brick-a-brak. Loved it. At 5pm that plaza shuts down and people scatter to the local restaurants for a snack and drink. Which is what we did too. Then we walk back down Defensa and enjoy some of the artist lingering selling their wears. Met some great folks who told us where too eat. A great local kind of diner called El Desnivel - that also got written up in the New York Times. Good food, they even had some nice pickled veggies and mashed pumpkin and potatoes. The pork was pretty good too, but ya gotta like the fat.

After a lively dinner we thought it was a good idea to go
AntsAntsAnts

Cool Metal Sculpture walking down near the tracks on Ave Del Libertador.
check out the dancing back at the plaza Dorrego and met up with one of the street artist/vendors who taught us a few basic steps of tango. And then, only because he asked what we knew, I taught him the pretzel. Super fun. I'm sure the few steps he taught us will make it a bit easier when we take our classes. We hung out and watched the amazing tango dancers then headed home but not before swinging by a gelato place to put some yummy sweets into our already full stomach.

Wonderful day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Fresh Veggies -  YehFresh Veggies -  Yeh
Fresh Veggies - Yeh

With all the meat in Buenos Aires, it was so nice to see a market full of fresh veggies.
Dorrego Antique MarketDorrego Antique Market
Dorrego Antique Market

I know all my girls that go to the Alameda Market would love this little one.
Amaryst Learning TangoAmaryst Learning Tango
Amaryst Learning Tango

Well I don't think either of us knew exactly where are feet were suppose to go - but it's a start.
Ah TangoAh Tango
Ah Tango

Amy & Paul at Plaza Dorrego - free Sunday night dancing in the square.
The Gang in Buenos AiresThe Gang in Buenos Aires
The Gang in Buenos Aires

Us getting down at Plaza Dorrego


26th August 2008

Glad you guys are having fun! Wish I was there!
26th August 2008

You all look so happy! Yeah...wish I could transport over for a cocktail. What do they drink there?
4th September 2008

the pics. are great! Dad and I went to see the Kehls / quick trip leaving for Oregon sometime tomorrow for a few days at the coast. Love you
10th September 2008

Travel Plans
We hope you are having a great time tell Amy and Paul Hi:: Where are you now? where are you headed. Mom and Dad We love you
11th September 2008

i was too slow
I didn't get to the phone in time!!!!!! I have blogged you before but I don't know if you got it. Great to hear from you. We love you . Mom and Dad

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb