Emergency!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
September 20th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Canadian Coast GuardCanadian Coast GuardCanadian Coast Guard

Rescue at sea!
September 20th

Today is the first of 8 days at sea! Dave is wondering if he'll go nuts before we reach land. He isn't much for sitting around! Around 11:45 the captain came on and said that we were turning around and heading back east. Apparently a passenger had a medical emergency and we were going back to meet up with the Canadian Coast Guard! The helicopter came a couple of hours later, circled the ship and then lowered crew and the basket to hoist up the ill lady. Rumor had it that she had had a stroke. The packed her up, hauled her up into the helicopter and headed off. We turned around and continued west. The captain said that this would not interfere with our schedule at all. So odd that the last time we were on this very ship heading across the Atlanic, the same thing happened just outside the Bahamas!



This morning I happened to be looking in the right place at the right time and saw a group of porpoises rushing away from the side of the ship. I looked them up and believe that they are Dall's Porpoises. They were dark on top with white on the bottom; quite distinctive!

After dinner, we returned to our room and I found a beautiful leather journal embossed with the trip logo on the bed! How nice! Luckily I hadn't started journaling yet in the one that I had brought along so this one is doing quite nicely.
Clocks are turned back another hour tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.8kb