Day Two


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
January 6th 2015
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

CemeteryCemeteryCemetery

We saw this ocean-side cemetery on our walk. Because of the proximity to the water, all the graves were above ground.
Geo: 18.123, -65.4163

Pictures from the second full day on Vieques. The morning walk took us by Sea Glass Beach, right near downtown Isabel II. No sea glass to be found. Then along the coast where we passed a neat cemetery. Later David, Sonja, Anne, and I drove to the western end of the island and toured through the old navy base where the main thing to see is the old bunkers where they stored ammo. The rest of the old base is just a jungle with a few narrow roads running through it. At the extreme western end is Green beach where three of us did a bit of snorkeling. LeeAnne, Bob, and Maggie drove to Blue Beach in the Camp Garcia area that she and I had seen the day before and did a bit of swimming & snorkeling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Sea Glass BeachSea Glass Beach
Sea Glass Beach

Walked to this beach in hopes of finding some pretty sea glass, but the place had been picked over, leaving only a piece or two.
BunkersBunkers
Bunkers

On the western end of the island the Navy had a large base where ammunition as well as other supplies were stored. The navy left in the late 90's and today the area is extremely grown up but narrow roads lead through the ruins of the old base. This is a picture of one of the bunkers where ammo was stored.
The abandoned Navy BaseThe abandoned Navy Base
The abandoned Navy Base

This is an example of the very narrow and overgrown roads through the old navy base area. Here we followed Yogi Berra's advice - "when you come to a fork in the road, take it". We did.
IguanaIguana
Iguana

Saw this guy when we drove to the bunkers on the western end of the island.
Punta Arenas or Green BeachPunta Arenas or Green Beach
Punta Arenas or Green Beach

A very small beach but also very private on the western end of the island.
Along Green BeachAlong Green Beach
Along Green Beach

Lee, David, and Sonja did a little snorkeling here.
Maggie and BobMaggie and Bob
Maggie and Bob

Taken by LeeAnne - Not sure but I think this was taken while the three Vialls went to a beach while the rest of us went to the old navy base.
Maggie and LeeAnneMaggie and LeeAnne
Maggie and LeeAnne

Another taken by LeeAnne - Not sure but I think this was taken while the three Vialls went to a beach while the rest of us went to the old navy base.
Maggie in the poolMaggie in the pool
Maggie in the pool

Taken by LeeAnne with her new underwater camera. Have a few others that she took of fish, etc. posted on anther day.
Roof ViewRoof View
Roof View

We enjoyed sitting on the roof-top terrace and looking out over the trees to the ocean.
Coqui Fire RestaurantCoqui Fire Restaurant
Coqui Fire Restaurant

This Mexican restaurant came highly recommended. We had to eat very early in order to get a reservation for our group. The special sauces had heat levels called "sweat factors" and ranged from 1 (mild) to 15 (really hot).


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb