First full day, 1/5/2015


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
January 5th 2015
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

View of the North CoastView of the North CoastView of the North Coast

Taken on Anne and my first morning walk, this was from the road along the coast at the bottom of the hill below our rental house.
Geo: 18.123, -65.4163

Here are pictures from Monday, Jan 5th, our first full day on Vieques. Anne and I were up fairly early and got our walk in before the rest were up - as usual. Then we just explored the house a lot. That afternoon LeeAnne and I decided to explore the island a little, mainly at the Camp Garcia area where we wanted to see if the Sol Food truck, which sits at the entrance to Camp Garcia, was open. It wasn't but we did check out a few of the beaches there as well as riding through Esperanza before heading back to the house. Anne, David, and Sonja walked down to the little beach below the house and found a bit of sea glass there. Maggie and Bob enjoyed the pool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Beach on the North CoastBeach on the North Coast
Beach on the North Coast

This was the entrance to the small beach below our rental house. It was about a ten minute walk from the house down a pretty steep hill.
HorseHorse
Horse

One of the many horses that run loose on the island. They are not really wild horses since they are very tame. If you look closely you can see a brand on its hip. Most are owned by someone yet they are allowed to roam around the island at will. Really something of a traffic hazard at times. We saw this one on our morning walk.
Outside stairs.Outside stairs.
Outside stairs.

These stairs and walkway led from the parking area at the main level of the house to the lower level where the pool area was.
View from the upper balcony.View from the upper balcony.
View from the upper balcony.

This shows one of the several arches around the upper balcony of the house. Named "Tres Arcos" or three arches, the house actually had several more than three arches.
View from the roof.View from the roof.
View from the roof.

The house had a deck on the roof of the house with a 360 degree view of the island and surrounding countryside.
Deck and groundsDeck and grounds
Deck and grounds

This was the lower deck beside some of the foliage on the grounds.
Stairs to the roofStairs to the roof
Stairs to the roof

These were stairs from the main level of the house to the deck on the roof.
CaterpillarsCaterpillars
Caterpillars

There were a bunch of these caterpillars on some of the trees on the grounds of the house. We remembered seeing some of these on St. John in the Virgin Islands on a previous trip.
Interior stairsInterior stairs
Interior stairs

This was the interior stairway from the upper level to the lower level.
Down the hill to the beach.Down the hill to the beach.
Down the hill to the beach.

This was the hill that you had to walk down to get from the house to the small beach on the north coast.
The pool.The pool.
The pool.

Maggie really enjoyed the pool.
The Pool.The Pool.
The Pool.

Probably will have lots of pool pics.
More Pool.More Pool.
More Pool.

As I said. LeeAnne and Maggie on the floats.
On the beachOn the beach
On the beach

David and Sonja on that little beach below the house.
Playa Caracas or Red BeachPlaya Caracas or Red Beach
Playa Caracas or Red Beach

This was taken on our first day of exploring. LeeAnne and I drove to the Camp Garcia area just to see what was available. Most beaches have more than one name, one official name and one that derives from the days when the Navy named beaches by color. Playa in Spanish means beach so this one is Playa Caracas or Caracas Beach, or Red beach from navy days.
Another of Playa CaracasAnother of Playa Caracas
Another of Playa Caracas

Red beach from the western side of the bay. Another taken while LeeAnne and I were exploring. This beach turned out to be one of our favorites.
Feast of the Three Kings ParadeFeast of the Three Kings Parade
Feast of the Three Kings Parade

Epiphany - Monday night we were out looking for a restaurant and saw this parade in progress. It had children carrying a star leading the three wise men in a procession around the town square and to a church on the square. Apparently this is a big holiday in Puerto Rico.
Feast of the Three Kings ParadeFeast of the Three Kings Parade
Feast of the Three Kings Parade

Another of the parade - with the three kings.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb