Wellington via Napier


Advertisement
Oceania
March 22nd 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We just stayed in Napier for one night, which was enough time to admire the Art-Deco it is famous for. We went on the Lonely Planet's 'Art-Deco guided walk' and relaxed in the pretty gardens and parks!

After a 5 hour bus journey we were in New Zealand's capital city, Wellington. Here we've embraced the Lord of the Rings phenomenon, climbing Mount Victoria. This was the site of the infamous 'GET OFF THE ROAD' scene, as well as most of the beginning of the first film where the hobbits are running from the Black Riders. We decided not to go for the tour as you paid to see the same locations, but finding a LOTR locations book afterwards, we discovered we were in all the right places! The films were actually shot pretty much everywhere in NZ so it's hard to see it all, but we keep spotting (or are told by bus drivers) that 'they filmed Lord of the Rings round here!' The next day we went to the 'Weta Cave', set up by Peter Jackson (the director) and his special effects people. A lot of the work for the films was done here! We looked round props and merchandise (Amy being very VERY excited) and watched a video on how it was all made. After this we walked round the Botanic Gardens and saw some of the city.

The next day we got up early and got on the ferry to the south island. Contrary to what we had been told (and Ryan had said!) it was very smooth and we saw wild dolphins on the way! We got off at the other end in Picton.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb