The Marlborough region


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough
April 3rd 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent one night in Picton, the port which connects the South Island to Wellington. It was a very pretty little place and we did a couple of walks, both with incredible views of the Marlborough Sounds, a collection of inlets which form the northern coast. One particularly was very impressive, and although the walk up was quite an ascent, the view of the town and coast as you got to the top was breathtaking.

The next day we moved on to the famous Marlborough wine region and stayed in a small town called Renwick. Surrounding it are about 15 vineyards with miles and miles of grape vines - and all within walking distance from our hostel. We picked 3 which were close and which specifically had free wine tastings! And so we just turned up to each one, and there was a lady waiting with glasses and numerous different bottles at the ready! The wine we tasted was incredible and easily the best wine either of us had drunk before (certainly a step up from the student cherry Lambrini...). We spent several hours meandering (not quite staggering) between the different places and then back to our hostel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb