Day 67 North Queensland


Advertisement
Oceania
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 67 Queensland

Today we picked up our next camper van, we have named him Charles! We will call this camper van home for the next 4 weeks so we are glad to see it is newer than Camilla (our previous camper). We call at the supermarket to stock up on supplies before heading north on the Captain Cook Highway, a very scenic drive along the coast.

We stop at Ellis beach and toast some hot cross buns for lunch and then go in the sea for a swim. The coral sea here is the warmest we have ever been in and it felt like we were stepping into a warm bath rather than a huge sea. The swimming area was surrounded by a net to keep out the jelly fish as they can be very dangerous here, especially the box jelly fish. We meet a lady who moved from Wensleydale 30 years ago and now lives in Cairns. She explains that the wet season is now over and winter has started and it is usually a bit cooler (about 30 degrees centigrade) and not as humid (we still think it is quite humid!) so it is a good time to be in Queensland.

Continuing north got us to Mossman Gorge where we went on a board walk through the rainforest to see the river. Our first holiday park in Australia was quite different to the ones we experienced in New Zealand as there is a lot more bugs and insects to get used to, not to mention the heat. Laura found a cane toad in the ladies toilets, the local pest here that can kill a small mammal if digested.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



7th April 2009

Toad!
I hope you killed the toad....
23rd April 2009

TOAD
I hope you didnt!!!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb