Beautiful Yasawa Islands


Advertisement
Oceania
January 22nd 2024
Published: January 22nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

The Yasawa Islands Fiji – Wow!! Probably as close to paradise as we have found! 12 days of holiday bliss!



The Yasawa islands consist of 20 volcanic islands, 27 miles northwest of Nadi, (on Vitu Levi, the largest islands, also called the ‘mainland’). We were told this is where the movie ‘Blue Lagoon’ and Tom Hanks ‘Castaway’ filmed. Most of these islands in Yasawa region are still owned by the local villages, with most of the staff working the lodges reside in the nearby villages. The resorts all have gorgeous oceanfront lodges. Access is a daily ferry that stops at each of the islands, picking up and dropping off passengers. There are no roads, no stores, no restaurants, just the all inclusive lodge, the ocean and the villages. As they describe with ‘minimal tourist development’. No motorized water toys, just a couple of small aluminum fishing boats for fishing, snorklers and divers.



We stayed at 3 different islands and loved them. Most of the lodges had 15 – 45 rooms. Travelling at the start of the rainy season, most places were about half full. Although at times hot and humid, especially away from the ocean breezes, we have been very lucky with the weather, afternoon showers that were very welcomed and only a day of full rain. At each arrival, we were greeted by several of the staff singing their welcoming song ‘Bula Maleya’. Bula being the common greeting for hello or welcome. Each place, we received a wonderful warm welcome and the friendliness of all the staff continued throughout our stay.



We upped our budget and enjoyed oceanfront bungalows which looked out on all the various blues of the water and the beautiful soft white sand. ‘Literally a step to the sand and only steps to the warm, crystal clear waters’. A new definition for a true holiday vacation – 12 days – never wearing shoes! Each night we fell asleep to the wonderful ocean breezes!





Our first stop was Barefoot Manta, a quiet, semi rustic lodge with 2 beautiful protected bays on each side of the lodge – one called Sunset Beach and the other appropriately Sunrise Beach. wonderful snorkeling with beautiful coral and fish. We missed the manta ray season from May – Oct, but did see one sting ray.





The second stop was Blue Lagoon Resort, appropriately named with a very large bay with the most gorgeous turquoise color. Although we considered doing another assisted dive, the snorkeling was so good and so easy! Just walk into the water and swim. We also spent a day visiting the local village where we were greeted with song and dance. Another day we visited the Sawa-I-Lau caves, a 30 minute boat ride to the limestone cave where you could swim in the deep cool waters.





And our last island was Paradise Cove resort, definitely the most upscale of the 3 resorts. Again, considering another dive, we did a morning snorkel trip that was probably the best! So much beautiful coral and lots of fish! The dive shop rented us a gopro camera so Ed took some very good pics! The restaurant here is excellent with a 5-7 course dinner. They also have Donu with a Japense style Fijian Fusion Omakase dinner that was delicious!





We leave tomorrow by ferry to Nadi and then fly back to Tahiti the next day. An interesting side note, we leave Paradise Cove on Jan 23rd (my birthday) and then leave Nadi on Jan 24th but, because we cross the international date line, we will arrive in Tahiti on Jan 23rd. So, I plan on 2 celebrations this year!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd January 2024

Beautiful!
It all looks magical. The water is so amazing. As I was reading your blog, I could feel the sand in my toes and feel the ocean breeze. The photos as usual are incredible. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Xoxoxox
24th January 2024

Thanks Vicki!!
It has been amazing!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb