Day 38 Milford Sound/Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
November 5th 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had a very early pickup so we could catch the passing kiwi bus to go to Milford Sound (although according to the driver it is actually a fiord – a valley original carved out from glaciers and filled by the sea). Our first stop was to view the mirror lakes that obviously from the name mirrored the mountains above them in the water. This was very cool but it was far too overcrowded with tourists and a squeeze to get that photo. Although one such tourist said “pretty lady” as Em took my photo which was kind of nice.



The drive to get to Milford is absolutely breathtaking (although I think it is practically impossible to do a drive in New Zealand that isn't scenic it seems). Winding road after road with snowdusted mountains, waterfalls and clear water rivers. It has been voted in the top 10 for drives in the world by the National Geographic. This was only enhanced for us with the amazing weather which I count as a blessing because it rains 2 out of 3 days generally. Given it is partial rainforest I suppose this has to be expected. We didn't have one drop of rain and clear skies so counted ourselves very lucky.



We finally arrived at the ferry port and caught our ferry which would take us around the fiord and show us some of the wildlife around. It was a beautiful journey with postcard views in all directions. Plus we managed to see more seals and even dolphins. The dolphins loved jumping and playing around in our wake which was so cool to see. Plus Em loves dolphins so she was really happy. We also got very close to a waterfall and got misted with lots of the water spray. I really enjoyed it.



Arrived back into Queenstown about 7.30-8 so obviously rather than cooking we tried our last Fergburger. We had half each and tried the Pork one and a Bombay chicken. Everyone joined together again for a few drinks and ended up darting around all over the shop when its $5 dollar drinks you cant moan too much.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb