New Zealand covered


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
August 28th 2009
Published: August 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

3/8/09

Arrived in Auckland at 445 am after not much sleep on the plane partly due to turbulence and this stupid women behind me keeping on getting up by using the headrest of my chair as leverage. Came through the Bio hazard area that checks that you are not bringing in anything that might affect NZ’S ecosystem and handed over my soon to be lovely avocado if seems I’m not the correct type of importer cos you can get Avos in the local market at They were however not interested in taking the large collection of shell necklaces people kept giving me when left a pacific island, oh well.!
Out into the arrivals hall lo be greeted by a clean and friendly New Zealand. Spent the next few hours at the tourist info who could not help enough sorting out quotes for campus and alterative modes of transport then headed to my hotel which tourist info said was far from town, so I booked my 2nd night elsewhere. Also met another Brit called Andy who was alsohiring a camper of travel on his own so ‘gavehim all the details I had garnered during mysearch and are tried to get a good deal by using the fact of have of us wanting a van. Only got $ 1 per day off so we kept in touch by email and booked separately. The City lodge in Vincent st turned out to be close of town and have Wifi which my new hotel did not, it also had cooking facilities a gym and a lovely room so was disappointed to have booked alternative accommodation. Had a rest till 2 then went out for a look at the lovely city of Auckland. How clean and well kept it looked!
Got down to the harbour and decided wanted one of the bath on the front so I only need a cool 5 million or so, anyone got some spare cash? Whilst at the harbour I saw a deal of $12-50 for one kg of blue lipped mussels. Could not resist and had a hot rock seafood meal as well, washed down with a lovely beer, I’ll rate it another time.

4/08/09

Had a great night trying not lo fall off my bed which is very slim bat at least I got 8 hrs. Decided to stag at City lodge as its just easier so out for one of the longest waits for a takeout coffee and then headed to the harbour for the Auckland harbour tour. Saw all the great spots to live along with the best weather they have had in 3 wks. Luck of the Scottish! The tour was not that busy and so I got chatting to the Captain who had been in the New Zealand navy and had done his navigation course in the Channel Islands, so knew the waters quite well especially us he had done it at night! Small world. Also saw the viaduct harbour where all the luxury yatchs are moored. Guernsey eat your heart out!
Came out and headed for the Auckland stg tower, like the CN tower in Toronto only smaller bat newer and more modern looking. Found out that if Invent to the Casino and got a discount card Icouldget 10 % off the tower ticket but when I went of get my card the girl. Serving me was Afrikaans and f ended up getting a free pass to the top for free with Ansel and I got the discount card.
On way back to hotel got some Malasian food and some sushi for breakfast. Got home and emailed Sally that I was in town, she suggested to take me to Bethels Bay the following day which I really wanted to see so that, it all worked out with my timing to pickup my Campvan.


5/08/09

Sally picked me up a 845 and we set off for Bethels Bay which I had seen on satellite photos and of loan the real deal is fabulous” think Sully must have got tired of me saying wow! The beach is black from Iron deposits and sand far out to the kelp beds so its great for surfers and swimmers, just be careful of the rip. Afterwards we went to Mt Mckennzy which overlooks the City, there were of course more worn and how fabulous! Afterwards I had lunch of Paella and showed Sully my photos of Machu Pitchu and then she dandy dropped me at the airport for my pickup for my camper.
Found my camper, a bit smaller than I thought, definitely not for two people unless you really want to be cosy 1! Headed down the road Northwards but stopped just after 100 km to get a good sleep.


6/8/09
found a great place to stay last night at sheep world, just outside Wellsford, had free wifi as well which made things good. Woke up rather cold for the first night gonna have to change the van or get power and a heater. Phoned my rental company and told them I wanted to upgrade as this one used too much heel and had no heating. Basically they don’t care its my problem and if I return the van I still need to pay full Price what a bunch of arse holes!!
Headed north more amazing landscapes just like everyone said. Went to the Kauri Museum you really need 3-4 hours of see it all, I had just over 2.
Prove through the Waipoua forest and saw the largest living Kauri tree, Wow! Stayed at Opononi and had chicken salad. Fantastic purple sunset.

7/8/09

Got up early and headed to being crossing at Rawene as I wanted to go of Cape Reinga und back in one day. Cheilademail for news from van have, nothing, not surprised.
Went looking for power cable and electric blanket in Kaitaia and ended up at a car spares company that changed my windscreen wiped for free and I added some Redex to the found to try get better economy. Cape Reinga was lovely the weather holding out very well for me with the view of the Tasman sea and Pacific Ocean clashing being very good. Headed back and drovefor longer to get to Doubtless bay at 630 and stayed at Hihi where unfortunately some locals were having a party and so sleep was late.

8/8/09

Woke up to find my can surrounded by bluish birds wanting my bread. Left and headed to Bag of Islands, wanting lo go to Russell; but ended only baling a picture as I decided to head her Auckland again to try make up some time. On way past Taumarere I went for a ride on a steam locomotive but was quite disappointed when it only went about 15 km/h and only did 2 km.
Also went of the oil refinery at Marsden Bay the only refinery in New Zealand, was interesting lo see what dad draws finally finished and lo have all the procedures explained.
Back to Wellsford for an early steak salad and some more beer.
Beer Blog - Monteiths zesty Radler -clean taste with citrus flavour, easy dinting, light golden in colour.


9/8/09

Woke early enough to get on Skype and chat to my campervan company who informed me that to upgrade was going to cost, on top of the $ 38 I was already paying another $34 which is more than the top of the range model!!
Gave up on that deal then, so just don’t deal with Tui or Backpacker sleepervans. Drove down to see Allan and Magrite in Cambridge. Took the 1b route and found that it was a nor direct route, through all the farm land. Arrived at about 5 and was invited of stay the night as they had roast lamb for tea. Got to meat the family as well and had a great night. Chris Allan’s son has just started doing what dad does, a architectural draughtsman, he had never heard of glasses for computer-work, he does now.

10/8/09

Woke up to an excruciating back pain and was fortunate of have been staying with local people and so managed of get an appointment with an osteopath who turned out to be a bit like a bowen therapist.
After getting my back sorted I headed of Rotarua bat stopped off to do a hike in an area that has been fenced off to return it to natural bush like if was before Europeans arrived.
The hike was supposed to be nearly 2 hrs each way, took me less than 2 to go up and down, glad now that I did all that hiking in South America!
Headed down to the info center at Rotarua and booked my ferry crossing to south island as well as some jet boating. Stayed in a camp site that had some lovely hot springs included in the campsite. Met a lovely German girl who was only 19 and travelling on her own.


11/08/09

Had to go jet boating today so was up early and headed out for the 1030 start, however when I arrived Round out that I had an exclusive deal, just me doing the trip with the guide. Turned out to be quite good as we were able to do extra’s not part of the real tour like pig trapping. Have to say jit boating is really enjoyable and interesting of see what it is capable of. Got my hair out todo could not live with the mop that had grown over the last 3 months.
Headed on to lake Taupo where I checked into a backpackers to see the difference and socialise a bit as well. Had a great time with some German guys and some Brits where we consumed some Tui on tap and X export which I thought was 4X No photos of the stuff this time as it was on tap, however the Tui was much nicer with a nice nutty flavour and dark colour.







12/08/09

Slept in my can last night oven though I had paid for a dorm. Got up at 8 and decided to do nothing and just relax. Did mg washing and got some discs for my photos and another set of headphones. I’m getting fed up of buying new headphones, this is the. 3rd set in 3 months !!
Aloaple of guys did the 15000 ft tandem skydiving and went to celebrate at the pals so I went as well and met a couple of lovely girls from the U.K. Ended up playing drinking games and headed back at about 10 pm. Met a Brit called then who is going to join meto Wellington tomorrow as he wants to pick my brains about flying, hope I can help. Slept in my van again I only paid $10.
Beer blog - Cascade Stout - dark brown in colour ,nutty roasted flavour ,smooth and creamy and bitter aftertaste ,the first one is not always the best but once you have had a few you will like it.

13/08/09

Up early and thought of Dad, I wanted to be on the road at gam but wasn’t till 920am cos Ben was not ready. Dad would have left! Wanted to go lo a climbing wall but took the wrong within ended or missing the wall, still headed for Wanganui to see Jannie and Arie but. Arie was out. Jannie is looking very well for 77 but it was good to see they are enjoying NZ after so many years battling in Zim.
Carried on down to Wellington and stayed in a hotel that Ben suggested.Was going to have a takeout but Ben offered to cook and that guy definitely has a gift there,had a lovely honey and mustard chicken dish with pasta and a salad!
Went to bed rather early but there was an American girl leaving the next day and she was so noisy I could hear her chatting at three and she was’nt even on our floor!!

14/08/09

Up early to get Ben on the straybus so he could go off to Hamilton to see one of his friends and then I just relaxed as I was catching the ferry to south island at 13pm .
Managed to get to the main museum at 11 but one hour to see it all was not possible and I will have to see it again some other time.
Onto the ferry at 1230 and off we all went in glorious weather though some of the most beautiful senery
I have seen is New Zealand. The Fjord that leads into Picton is by far the best I hare ever seen. Met some lovely people who gave me their address if I end up near where they live.
Headed off to see if I could make it to Picton and picked up a hitchhiker as I was going past where he wanted to go. Didn’t lose anything his sign said “going to Blenheim, Have chocolate”, so that why I stopped I thought of Jo Le Page!
Ended up at a lovely camp site about an how out of Picton just afto all the vineyards stopped where the owner had a bar which was so far for me the cheapest in New Zealand. $2.50 per beer and $7 for a double locally brewed and distilled cognac while was fabulous. Watched Canterbury beat Waikato nicely with a couple of guys called krusty and Peter. Early bed but beer wanted out so up early.





15/08/09

Headed off after breakfast to see the vineyards back at Blenheim and managed to find a place that made Vodka and Gin, the Grin was rated of be the best in the wold in 2007, I tried it it was very nice but the Vodka was a little of rough for mg liking. Had a lovely Reisling at the tasting next door so got one bottle then went to the Allan Scot vineyards to try their Pinot Noir and ended up with one of their Rieslings. Also staged at the Allan Scott restaurant and had some Lamb with a Pinot Poir jus, divine!
Had left mg map at the camp site so had of go back before I headed for Nelson, the road was lovely and the sheep plentiful but I was very tired sol slopped frequently and managed to get in the way of a cycle race, boy was I glad I had a car, the hills were more like mountains and the rain was torrential.
Ended up at a lovely campsite at Kaiteriteri after stopping at a backpackers in Motueka that was completely empty and would have cost me more than double the campsite with nowhere near the view.
Beer blog - Weka Native Lager - golden in colour ,sweet flavour with a honey undertone lovely to drink and very refreshing.My favourite lager so far.

16/09/08

Don’t know what happened last might but, had to go to the Loo Five times !! So no sleep for me, in fact I woke up more tired. Left and headed to Marahau and stopped ata place called the split apple (see photos) the scenery was so amazing even I had nothing of says Afterwards I headed off to Motueka to see if I could do some microlight flying but ‘guess they were out flying, not surprising the weather was very mild. Took the Mokueka valley highway which again hard some amazing scenery with me following the river of kawatiri junction. The fruit farming in the valley was quite big, pity if was not the growing season with mg cancer I would love to have seen everything growing. Went through Murchison and headed for Westport but stopped about 40 km’s outside to try some freedom camping with the only thing alive coming to see me, being a brown walking bird that seemed more interested in checking out my car than eating the bread I tried to feed it !! In fact it left the bread and inspected m a


17/8/09

After a night of being too warn and a little concerned that someone was going of move me on ‘packed up and headed for route 6 near Westport (I guess its Irish) however I got the junctions wrong and was going down some very straight roads that did not correspond with my map when I amid at Greymouth having missed all the beauty of route 6. After consulting the tourist info who are the best, I headed North to Punakaiki with a quarter tank of gas because of course a major tourist destination would have petrol. They did in 5 litre containers at $20!?! I looked at the blow holes and decided to chance it and headed back to Greymouth to find that mg Van did indeed do 500 km’s per tank -Refilled the bank and headed south where the sky looked lovely.




Found a lovely campsite at Okarito lagoon right on the Tasman sea, $10 per night and me the only one there, great hot shower. As I arrived the san was setting so I ran to the beach and took some lovely black and white photos, need to burn a few cds and send them home so I can clean up my memory cards, I Think I have in the region of 5000 photos! Started reading a good book called the Venus Conspiracy, so good I finished it !!


18/8/09

up early and off lo Frans Josef Glacier. Checked with the info people who advised I pay $100 to get a guided tour onto the glacier but as I had already seen the one in Banff rational park, I decided to it on my own, so glad I did. I did the hike there and back in less than half the time, met some nice people and other than going onto the glacier missed nothing, but saved $100 wooh hoo for the Scots! After having half a litre of V Black I felt wired and headed off south eventually ending up at Lake Wanaka, I even stopped at a mountain stream and had a bath. For some reason I had felt invigorated all day after my hike and was wearing shorts and sandals all day so where so one was I quietly had a Bath, but no polluting, must say my Feet felt cold standing in the water but I didn’t as ‘splashed water all over myself. ‘think something was not right coz I felt great, headed of a campsite and struck up a conversation with a very stuckup woman so 16 it the site and kept driving, glad I did!



19/8/09

Found a great D. O. C. campsite last night and it only cost $6 to stay which was good as I had already bathed. Headed off to Queenstown but ended up staging at a backpackers in Wanaka as I noticed that this was where Cardrona was which is a well known ski resort. Headed upto the slope with two guys hitching with snowboards to see if I could get a half day pass but the cost was $120 for half or full day, so the Scotsman in me made me decide to come back the next day. Back at the backpackers I met some nice youngsters from the Uk but every alone seemed too tired to do anything so off to bed at 930 pm, earliest so far.

20/8/09

Got up early but I had some internet to get rid of so only made it up to the slope at 10 am, gave a lift to a girl from Japan, it appears all the Japanese come here for the winter season, I’m not sure why coz there are not that many runs. I Got all my gear rented and headed out on the snow on the only pair of blades on the mountain which was good cg everyone wanted to know what they were like which made conversation very easy. After 4 hrs of skiing the same 4 runs I decided to give it up and headed lo Queenstown down the steep mountain pass route and not the sennic route which made me realize my brakes were actually quite rubbish! Found a pleasant campsite at Frankton with some fabulous showers and tell asleep at 830 pm now the earliest.



21/08/09

Surfaced at about 9 am and headed into town lo see what was available to do. The aerobatics looked good but again the Scotsman in me was screaming that $390 for 20 min was too much even for him, so I opted to do some quad biking instead, but when I went to the Icenter that confirms bookings they tried of tell me of go with another company even though I wanted to go with someone else, I after found out that the company being pushed, pays more. ‘still went with the one I wanted and was glad I did, they had some new Suzuki 250 cc quads that were more than up to the task of putting an involuntary smile on my face!!
Back of my campsite to find two lovely Neighbours and an early bed as I had really pushed for two days now.


22/08/09

Headed to Queenstown proper today as it was the tri- nations with Australia playing New Zealand at 10 pm and I had to get a campsite in town as there was no way I was going to drive. Found a lovely place right next to town and near the gondola up to the view of Queenstown. Went up the gondola and did 3 luge sides which were fun but on my own a little boring. Back to my campsite to see Andy I met at Auckland had arrived and was at the same campsite as well as mg neighbours from Frankton so we at arranged of meet at the Pig and whistle to watch the game. What a game with New Zealand only winning in the 75th min when Dan Carter kicked a penalty that made the score 19 to NZ and 18 to Auz so close but at least the team I support had won, away.

23/08/09

Up early to try to go off to Invercargill but only left at 1130 and went to Te Aupu right on the lakes near the fjordland but I decided of push on and ended up lost somewhere outside Invercargill which was not that bad as I got some lovely photos as well as chatted of some sheep and beef farmers who helped me find my way. I was feeling rather tired and and quite wired after having a Couple of V blacks and a coffee.
Found a lovely camp site outside Invercargill where they had the cleanest facilities I have used in NZ as well as the fastest internet!

24/08/09

Up relatively early and headed sown to Bluff to take some photos of Stewart island as I had done the Russell bit up at the bay of islands in the north island.
After looking at the maritime museum I headed up the scenic route to Dunhedin which was lovely except that the road wound so much that after nearly two hours of changing gears for the automatic and going hard on the brakes I had only done about 120 km !






It was on one of my many stops that I met 2 Brits stopped at the side of the road just enjoying the scenery and it was great to see that we could stop and enjoy the view as apposed to the ten or so people who pulled up , took a photo and then left!
When I started travelling I was asked whether I wanted to be a traveller or a tourist , I hope that my efforts to be a traveller are working and that I have not become a happy snapper :]
On arrival to Dunhedin I took a turning at random and walking down the street was Andy the guy I met at Aukland airport and then watched the kiwis beat Australia with at Queenstown, so he pointed me to another lovely campsite on the beach.

25/08/09

After realising that my time was running out I opted to just go and see the worlds steepest road in Dunhedin which at its steepest has a gradient of 1:2.86 which is quite steep to walk however I decided to drive it after the walk so as to turn around at the top, well again my trusty underpowered Toyota had to be manually shifted to first and to be honest I was concerned that reverse was going to be used, but finally made it to the top where I turned round only to drive down with my now dangerously warped front discs.
After the heroics of the morning and myself now sufficiently wide awake I headed to Christchurch picking up a hitchhiker about 150km outside the city ,called Brad who I offended by saying he should get a paying job instead of working for free at a commune.
Passed though Christchurch by about 20 km and found another campsite on the beach looking back towards Christchurch, again I seemed to be the only person in the site.

26/08/09

After deciding not to go north of Christchurch today I decided it would be better to go to the city and sort out my backpacker accommodation and my trip down the Arthur pass on the train to Greymouth and to start sorting out my van for its return to the sharks that I hired it from.
Got to a lovely campsite about ten min from the city by bus and went to book my train ride and to look at some backpackers ,one up near hagley park and another called the jailhouse which is an old jail converted to accommodation.
Got my ticket sorted then decided to walk to the two backpackers after nearly three hours of walking I had finally seen the two with the one near the the park being the one I went to as the jailhouse was too far out of town. I really felt like a Scotsman as I even walked to the campsite hereby saving $2.80.
After trying to wash my van I finally took it to the car wash as this was a far better idea.
Whilst doing my washing I met an Irish couple from stab city and went out with my van to town and had a terrible Thai meal then back to try and do some more cleaning of my van , its amazing how much crap you collect in three weeks.The campsite seemed to be where most people come to before they hand back their vans and so I was able to procure much beer for free.




27/08/09

Up early to get my van finished and then off to my backpackers to drop my bags off before getting rid of the bottomless pit into which I was continually pouring petrol so when they asked me what I thought I let them know I was not happy with the service but I knew that they are trained to deal with this as they started giving the excuses. Honestly if the car had been of European design and not Japanese I don’t think it would have lasted!
After not getting a lift anywhere ,what a let down, I took a bus back to my accommodation to tell the people that they should not book with sleepervans and what they should do that I did not do!
Ended up getting a meal cooked for me by a lovely girl from Nelson called Alecia, raw carrots and pasta was lovely but I forgot the chocolate in my bag as desert oh well I’ll eat it later. Even got to win at pool which never happens.

28/08/09

After not sleeping well cos I was worried I would not wake up for my taxi to the train I boarded the train for the Arthurs pass , unfortunately the weather got progressively worse and was mainly raining and very windy on the viewing platform so I did not spend too much time outside.
The highlight was the 8km tunnel with a gradient of 1:33 which was dug without modern technology and at the end was only millimetres out, isn’t trigonometry amazing.
Well I am leaving tomorrow and I will definitely have to come back and I will come for longer or just reduce the area I do.





Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb