Peel Forest


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Flat TireFlat TireFlat Tire

Trying to get the extra tire from below the van to stick in place of our flat tire on the trailer.
At Peel Forest we stayed at an eco lodge. It was made entirely out of recycled material and everything we used had to be recycled or carried out. The toilets there didn't flush, so there was a pee hole in the front that drained to who knows where and a poop and toilet paper hole in the back that led to a bucket below that had to be emptied before we left (ugh!). There was a toilet out back that could also be used that emptied directly into the waste area, but it was extremely sketchy and dirty. It became known as the Murder Toilet. PC1 had left us a note letting us know that if you sat too long on it, you would come out with a spider bite on your bum. The cabin was removed from pretty much everything, and we had a lot of fun playing frisbee and learning to play cricket and rugby one night. We also did a ropes course and when whitewater kayaking. Again, I'll hopefully get these pictures up in the next couple days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

AlbrieAlbrie
Albrie

Albrie picking flowers while we waited for them to fix the tire.
WaitingWaiting
Waiting

Taking a seat while we waited for a new tire.
Pilates?Pilates?
Pilates?

Some relaxation stretching while we waited. We did it all just to pass the time! I believe we also broke out the rugby ball, and Chris cut his foot after jumping the fence for it.
Peel Forest Eco LodgePeel Forest Eco Lodge
Peel Forest Eco Lodge

Just up the hill from the juvenile boot camp. At least we didn't have midnight visitors, at least as far as we know...
InsideInside
Inside

Inside the eco lodge.
DeckDeck
Deck

All smiles shortly after we arrived at the eco lodge. Solar powered, all material recycled, made of recycled material, no A/C, no flushing toilets, and the infamous "murder toilet" full of spiders out back.
RelaxedRelaxed
Relaxed

Relaxing and telling jokes around the picnic table.
Sharing PantsSharing Pants
Sharing Pants

Ali in Amie's pants.
Wacky BunchWacky Bunch
Wacky Bunch

Hanging around outside before dinner.
Pre-Moustache ContestPre-Moustache Contest
Pre-Moustache Contest

The guys before their moustache-growing contest.
Mustache ContestMustache Contest
Mustache Contest

Starting the mustache growing contest with clean-shaven faces.
PiggybackPiggyback
Piggyback

Dean, Ali, and Lauren in one big piggyback.
CricketCricket
Cricket

Learning to play cricket. Our kayaking guides were teaching us the ropes, along with Dave (the Aussie head of Pacific Challenge).
Locked OutLocked Out
Locked Out

The guys locked themselves out of their room and had to break back in.
FeetFeet
Feet

Our lovely feet (including Brad's blister) partway only part way into our adventures. Many miles on foot still layed ahead for us!
RugbyRugby
Rugby

A late night rugby lesson. Sadly, the worst injury of our trip came later this not, not from rugby, but from red rover!
TonguesTongues
Tongues

Brad, Lauren, Chelsea, and Dustin with their tongues out.
Chelsea's WineChelsea's Wine
Chelsea's Wine

She drank ALL OF THAT! No, not really...
GuidesGuides
Guides

Meredith and Norm flanked by our guides Nathan and Slea holding Tui and Speights beers - two of the more popular NZ drinks.
BottlesBottles
Bottles

The table with nothing but bottles.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb