Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mountains ViewMountains ViewMountains View

Just a pretty view of the clouds rolling through the mountains.
Mount Cook is pretty much nothing as far as the town goes, but it's a great place for some mountains! We took a glacier cruise there, got out to walk on an iceburg, and had some fantastic views. About half of us also were stupid and crazy enought to jump in the glacier water at the end! Hardly above the freezing point, it was nearly unbarably cold, but it was still totally worth it! We then jumped out and warmed ourselves on the hot rocks along the side. I realize I keep repeating how beautiful this country is, but it really is! We also went to the local pub that night. The catch - the guys had to dress as girls to get in. We had a great time getting them all ready, and they pulled it off in a frighteningly great fashion! The pictures are hilarious, so again, they will be coming soon.

About half of us went up to Mueller Hut for a night during our stay there. We climbed up Mount Ollivier to the hut, and the climb was a few hours of some tough stuff! Once at the top, it was totally worth it. We were
CloudsCloudsClouds

Some cool clouds while we were on the glacier cruise.
high above the clouds and into the snowy areas, so enjoyed a snowball fight, made a snowman, and best of all, we went sledding on our pack liners! It was definitely a highlight of the trip so far. It was so removed and yet so overwhelming of a view. We hiked back down around sunrise the next morning and as we went down, the sun was rising above the clouds. It is one of the most amazing things to see such a blanket of clouds covering the sky with mountain tops peaking through and the sun rising above it all. A tough hike, but it ended up being an unforgettable trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Guys?Guys?
Guys?

Guys...or are they? There was something going on at the local pub, and we were told the only way the guys could get in was by cross dressing, so they did it...really well...maybe too well...
Warming TimeWarming Time
Warming Time

The crew that took the plunge. Warming ourselves on the rocks to the side. Apparantly Brad and Anthony are still REALLY cold.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The colors in the sky over Mt. Cook on the side opposite the sunset. A really cool sight.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb