Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rock ClimbingRock ClimbingRock Climbing

Part of us that went rock climbing high above Christchurch, NZ, the first day. This was my first time ever rock climbing.
We spent a few days at Christchurch, and it was a pretty neat city. I spent a couple days rock climbing over the city, and it was a great time. It was my first time outdoor rock climbing, and I really enjoyed it. We had three different levels set up, and I got through all three, although the last one took a while. We had to wedge our left hand in a crack and hang back to swing up using only that hand to keep you there while getting up and around an overhang. Fun stuff but exhausting! Internet is pretty slow here, but I'll hopefully get pictures up in the next couple days when we head back to Christchurch before flying over to Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

MeMe
Me

Still harnessed up after my first day of climbing. That's a bit of Christchurch in the background. It's pretty good sized for a New Zealand city.
BelayingBelaying
Belaying

Chris and Dean belaying.
KatieKatie
Katie

Katie belaying.
Me ClimbingMe Climbing
Me Climbing

Climbing up the difficult section. We had an easy, medium, and difficult section set up. I started at the easy since I had never climbed before, but I did finish the difficult section by the end of the day.
OverhangOverhang
Overhang

That overhang is the main reason for the difficulty. You had to make a fist and jam my hand in that opening since there was nothing to hold onto. Then you had to swing on that jammed fist up to grab above the overhang and hoist yourself up.
UpUp
Up

After many tries and arms and legs feeling like jello, I finally made it over the overhang.
AbseilingAbseiling
Abseiling

Abseiling (rapelling) down after one of my climbs.
OppositeOpposite
Opposite

The view from our climbing rock to the opposite side that of Christchurch.
ChrisChris
Chris

Chris in front of the bay behind where we climbed. All boats headed to Antarctica depart from this bay, and all planes headed there depart from the Christchurch airport.
TattooTattoo
Tattoo

Kristen with her tattoo artist. Katie also got a tattoo in Christchurch.
SmoochSmooch
Smooch

Brad sharing the Valentine's Day love with Chris.
KissesKisses
Kisses

Brad went all out with the Valentine's Day goodies his girlfriend sent him.
Big Guy/Little GuyBig Guy/Little Guy
Big Guy/Little Guy

Just a little height difference between Brad and Dustin!
Duct TapeDuct Tape
Duct Tape

I'm not really sure how Brad ended up like this...
Dog PileDog Pile
Dog Pile

A dog pile on Brad in the YMCA we stayed in.
ChelseaChelsea
Chelsea

She may be a just a little nervous about climbing.
FinishFinish
Finish

You weren't allowed to come down until you touched the clip at the top.
AchievementAchievement
Achievement

Chelsea's look of pride at her accomplishment.
ProPro
Pro

Yeah, pretty sure I wouldn't be walking for a month if I got put in that position. Lauren on the other hand is the expert climber. And apparently very flexible.
ClimbClimb
Climb

Chelsea climbing as we wait and belay from below.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb