Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

TractorTractorTractor

Reminds me of home...aside from the ocean! These tractors took our kayaks out past the sandy coastline into some deeper waters. They got the job done!
Abel Tasman is was beautiful! The beaches and areas were gorgeous and yet pretty much uncommercialized since it's a national park. We kayaked in most of the way to Anchorage Bay, but the waves were too high on the Mad Mile, so we had to hike the last leg. We camped two nights there. No showers were available, so we all took to the water in playing frisbee, making a mermaid out of Chelsea, and just laying out on the beach (rough, I know). We split into two groups coming in and out of the bay, so on the way back, my group was the hiking group. It was a rough start up one really steep hill, but from there is easy going. Unfortunately, I brought my camera but forgot my memory card. I'll get some pictures from other to up here soon, but it really was one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Shoot MeShoot Me
Shoot Me

In the wagon behind the tractor being pulled to the beach for kayaking practice. By looking at Ali in the back, you can see how much we liked our guides...
SteeringSteering
Steering

Trying to captain in the back. Steering's much tougher than you would think.
Open SeaOpen Sea
Open Sea

Setting out on the open sea for some kayaking.
See KayakingSee Kayaking
See Kayaking

See kayaking to along the eastern New Zealand coast to Anchorage Bay of Abel Tasman National Park.
BeachedBeached
Beached

Pulling ashore after the Mad Mile had waves too high to cross. Our guide us before leaving that if they were over 3 metres high, we should hike around. Falling out meant being washed into rocks.
HorsesHorses
Horses

Some people riding horses along the beach as we hiked and sea kayaked in. It wouldn't be too bad to be down there either!
SticksSticks
Sticks

A cool stick arrangement along part of the beginning of the path.
OverlookOverlook
Overlook

Overlooking Anchorage Bay before we made the final leg of the hike.
BeautyBeauty
Beauty

And this is why I think Abel Tasman must be one of the most beautiful places every!
BirdsBirds
Birds

A few birds running around the beach.
BayBay
Bay

Anchorage Bay
ChelseaChelsea
Chelsea

Welcome to Abel Tasman!
Frisbee 500Frisbee 500
Frisbee 500

Playing some frisbee 500 along the beach and ocean waters.
Buried AliveBuried Alive
Buried Alive

Chelsea buried beneath the shiny sand. She doesn't look too sad about it.
Photo ShootPhoto Shoot
Photo Shoot

Brad striking a pose.
BradBrad
Brad

You don't want to mess with that face!
Work ItWork It
Work It

Work it Brad! They went back for the kayaks, but the company had mistakenly taken them back. At least they had some fun in the meanwhile!
SplashSplash
Splash

He looks like he hasn't seen water in months. And then you notice the ocean behind him...
SealSeal
Seal

A seal out on the rocks.
ChrisChris
Chris

Chris as Chris and Dean went exploring around the bay.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb